Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just got the Asus EP121 a few hours ago. First impressions is AWESOME! The fan is quiet. The screen is beautiful. The touch is pretty good. Using firefox is oh so much better than Safari on iPad. There is just no comparison. Just right now downloading a bunch of stuff. Great thing about it being windows it is so easy to do file transfers over the network thanks to windows 7 ease of use. Right now it is downloading just as fast as my desktop! Have not tested battery life yet but that isn't too important to me.

The pen input is jaw dropping of how accurate and smooth it is. Not to mention it easily recognizes my hand writing from the start no calibration needed. Right now I can just print words using the pen which is not as fast as just typing on the iPad. The on screen keyboard is not the greatest but it will do. I am sure once I have a few days with it I will get a lot faster. I like how you can move the keyboard anywhere.

Drawing on this is 10 times better than the iPad thanks to having 256 levels of input. So drawing will be much faster unlike the iPad when I had to choose different brush sizes.

So far this tablet is exceeding my expectations. Right now installing a few games to play with. OH so glad I don't have to synch through iTunes anymore.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 19, 2011, 05:58 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Asus Transformer comes with a office suite built in for you to use right away.

Also lets not forget the crappy screen resolution of a ipad(2) compared to tablets out now.
Besides the Galaxy 10.1 I doubt any tablet has a better screen than the iPad. Resolution isn't the be-all end-all.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you do what you want with your money but me the only tablet I would run with would be a tablet laptop.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Besides the Galaxy 10.1 I doubt any tablet has a better screen than the iPad. Resolution isn't the be-all end-all.
I'm sorry but 1024x768 on a tablet? Are we in the stone age?
Old June 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
MVP

1024x768 is appropriate for a small screen. The pixel density of the ipad is higher than 99% of PC displays.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:07 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm sorry but 1024x768 on a tablet? Are we in the stone age?
Id rather take a slightly lower resolution IPS panel than some craptastic higher res TN panel.

And I agree that 1024x768 is plenty for a 10" screen.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Id rather take a slightly lower resolution IPS panel than some craptastic higher res TN panel.

And I agree that 1024x768 is plenty for a 10" screen.
Transfomer has a 1280x800 IPS panel.

So I'd rather have a larger screen with the same type of panel as a ipad2 and have more real estate to do stuff.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

hw much did the ep121 cost after tax?
Old June 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
hw much did the ep121 cost after tax?
About $1,300.

I am returning the ep121. After using it for a few days I am hating it. Windows 7 is just not good enough for a tablet.

There are a lot of problems. I thought I could do without a good battery life but I am wrong. With only 2:30 hours of battery this thing is not very good. You may get 4 hours if all you do is type. Next is the onscreen keyboard sucks. This is one of the big factors of why I am returning it. When you go to click on something the keyboard does not always come up. Next is I type way slower on this than my old iPad. I find I am using the Bluetooth keyboard more often than not. The pen input is awesome but sometimes when you stop using it the tablet forgets its there when you try to use it again for a few seconds. Also typing in general is much crappier as you don't have auto correct and things like that.

Next is software. Most apps are not designed to be used on a touch screen. When trying to install some older games there are a lot of problems. Mainly with menus not working. When trying newer games it is just not powerful enough to run even civ4 on lowest. When running flash games that require a keyboard the onscreen keyboard lags a lot behind.

Also since this device is significantly heavier than the iPad you can'y hold it in the air for long.

Not only that navigation is not that fast around windows 7. Oh and when windows 7 crashed I had no keyboard to hit enter and wait 30 seconds for windows to load normally.

This experience has taught me that you don't want a full OS on a tablet. Leave that for laptops. Not to mention I could have gotten a much better laptop for the same price.

Right now I am returning it tomorrow and thinking of getting an iPad 2. May play around with some android tablets for a bit though.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 21, 2011, 09:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

lol...back to ipad huh?
you brought up some very good points about windows 7. Was contemplating the ep121 but that battery life on high performance is a deal killer ( roughly 2 hours max). Wanted to get this due to the wacom digitizer for school....

android OTOH seems to be the best compromise between apple and microsoft but is lacking programs such as one note that is great for note taking.Maybe the only way is with a dual boot system...android for apps, windows for work...the great thing is the oak trail architecture is capable running both android and windows even meego..so maybe you should hang on to your ipad 1 a little longer.