Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   What type of cell phone has a really good camera? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/43964-what-type-cell-phone-has-really-good-camera.html)

Jay Donaldson June 6, 2011 07:46 AM

What type of cell phone has a really good camera?

Hello,

I am looking for a new cell phone. Whatever I like to call it, but I take a lot of picture and I want the camera to be really good?

Best Regards
Jay Donaldson

geokilla June 6, 2011 07:50 AM

GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more...

Gotta be a smartphone. Check out the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. Samsung Galaxy S II is pretty good too.

rapmaster June 6, 2011 08:16 AM

Nokia N8

Neolithium_Wpg June 6, 2011 08:27 AM

One of my neighbours just got the Xperia Arc, and it seems to take some fantastic pictures.

Kilauea June 6, 2011 08:40 AM

Physics... There is no such thing as good camera into a phone. No matter what you say or do, you will never get a good camera into a phone. The same way you will never get a "good" camera into an ultraportable one. You trade size for quality, moreso into phones.

You may get better quality than other phones, but good, no. IMHO, a phone is perfect to take pictures of things to remember that require no quality what so ever (for example a bottle of wine you liked), a souvenir of something outside (where you want to show something like a funny road sign, not something of quality) that you want to show someone but will never consider printing or doing something more with.

What kind of pictures do you take and for what purpose is it ?
If you fall into what I said above, you may listen to others, otherwise you will be dissapointed.

Lpfan4ever June 6, 2011 08:44 AM

Well said.

I'll have to mirror what Kilauea said, if you want to actually take pictures that look good, then you're going to need a standalone. If you just want to take quick shots of something, then getting a phone with a decent camera is probably fine. Just don't expect miracles from a device pretty much shoved into the shell of a phone.

LarkStarr June 6, 2011 09:17 AM

What the above two said. If you take a lot of pictures, get a real camera. They aren't that expensive.

Jackquelegs June 6, 2011 05:21 PM

The nokia N8 has the best camera I've used on a phone.

Also, an answer to your question. "Not the fruity kind"

YukonTrooper June 6, 2011 05:37 PM

Depends on what your definition of "really good" is. If you're looking for good snap photos of friends you kind get them, but only with some of the much more expensive smart phones. If you're looking for good pictures in a wider variety of settings, you're gonna have to go for a separate camera. But shit, you can spend $100-$150 and get a camera that can do this. That's the way I'd go, and then pick a phone that does the phone type things you're after.

Perineum June 7, 2011 12:11 AM

Nokia N8. It's a camera with a phone built into it.