Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2011, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Question Andriod suggestion

Long story short, I have had a black berry bold for a few years, it kicked the bucket. Android phones are the most appealing to me. Severely lacking information and direction has brought me to ask for help. Currently borrowing an old pos phone from a friend... It's killing me slowly. Currently with Rogers, but not against switching carriers and/or buying a phone outright and unlocking it.

I want a droid that has current gen technology(not one that is a year or two old). Not in a rush, so I could wait if there is something worth waiting for. I was eyeing up the atrix, but it seems to be getting mixed reviews.

What droid do you suggest?
Old May 31, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nexus or Galaxy S
Old May 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
MVP
F@H

Samsung Galaxy S II is pretty awesome from what I've heard.

A cool $800 tho
Old May 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Rookie

I like the looks of the Galaxy S2's specs. But I don't see it available one any carrier's websites. Where would one buy it?
Old May 31, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

in the UK.

get a nexus S. plenty of power. google's flagship phone is well supported.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
Samsung Galaxy S II is pretty awesome from what I've heard.

A cool $800 tho
+1. You can also try to get it in Korea. Not sure how though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
in the UK.

get a nexus S. plenty of power. google's flagship phone is well supported.
Why get Nexus S? It's a neutered Galaxy S. And it's old technology. Plus who needs Google support when you have XDA
Old May 31, 2011, 10:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'll be going Xperia Arc, I highly doubt the Galaxy S II will be in Canada until at least holiday season if at all.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 1, 2011, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
I'll be going Xperia Arc, I highly doubt the Galaxy S II will be in Canada until at least holiday season if at all.
Galaxy S II will be coming to Canada. Samsung Canada says it will be released around the end of 3Q if I remember correctly.
Old June 1, 2011, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Galaxy S II will be coming to Canada. Samsung Canada says it will be released around the end of 3Q if I remember correctly.
They only said it should be. They were having issues with carrier negotiations. (That was the last update as of 4 May 11)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

late 2Q early 3Q was the last I heard. Samsung will iron it out quick I'm sure, one of the big three will snap this up.

-geokilla, what do you need all that power for? it's a free android phone (with plan, of course) that can do practically everything you throw at it. and XDA isn't perfect, the working features tend to need to be released on a ROM that needs to be decrypted / reverse engineered first. My phone still can't do HD video on a modded 2.2 rom, that an older 2.1 official rom CAN do. The nexus S is a no-nonsense no-trouble device that you don't need XDA to get the latest android features for.