Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Expansys.ca sells the Galaxy S II here in Canada, but I think they're out of stock. I don't think it has the NFC chip either, but I'm not sure if that technology is going to be used any time soon anyway.
Old June 1, 2011, 03:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
They only said it should be. They were having issues with carrier negotiations. (That was the last update as of 4 May 11)
Probably due to all the fiasco Bell had with the Galaxy S and internal SD dying... I think Samsung lost a fair bit of money here, compared to other countries.

But I agree with the others, get the Nexus S now if you need something. Otherwise, continue waiting. I think most dual-core phones (other than the Motorola Atrix) will come around Q3 or later.

I think the big-three (Bell, Rogers, Telus) are pushing hard to get LTE rolled out this year, or at least in select cities. So the dual-core phones *may* be LTE equipped. Who knows really.
Old June 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would have a look at the Samsung Galaxy 2 or the HTC Sensation. They are direct competitors and basically are top of the line. They should both be coming out in summer or so.

Check out Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers , especially their forum. If you are into modifying things, the htc will make it easier for you, since it will have an unlocked boot loader once it comes to canada.

There will also be a nexus 3 at some point and that could be out as soon as fall when ice cream (android 2.4) will be released, but there's no guaranty to that just yet.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:02 PM
Rookie

So I had the plan of buying the Xperia Arc, then keeping my eyes on the S2 and giving the wife the Arc down the road. I went to Best Buy to pick one up (was going to buy it out) and at the check out they ran into the computer not letting them sell the phone without a new contract?

Looked on craigslist and couldn't find any on there. Where else could I look?
Old June 1, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
late 2Q early 3Q was the last I heard. Samsung will iron it out quick I'm sure, one of the big three will snap this up.

-geokilla, what do you need all that power for? it's a free android phone (with plan, of course) that can do practically everything you throw at it. and XDA isn't perfect, the working features tend to need to be released on a ROM that needs to be decrypted / reverse engineered first. My phone still can't do HD video on a modded 2.2 rom, that an older 2.1 official rom CAN do. The nexus S is a no-nonsense no-trouble device that you don't need XDA to get the latest android features for.
Well he doesn't want a phone with old tech. The Galaxy S and Nexus S is considered old tech now. At the minimum he should get a dual core phone, aside from the Atrix of course.

Have you tried upgrading to another custom ROM? The custom ROM that you have is pretty bad.... Or it could be the kernel. I could also disable HD video on my Galaxy S by getting the big memory (RAM) kernel.

My experience so far, XDA ROMs are a lot better than Samsung ROMs. Same goes for my mom's HTC Desire.
Old June 1, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't have a samsung phone. Xperia X10. One of the best roms available. The current 2.3s don't even have a working camera.they're all waiting for the official 2.3 release.
Old June 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If I were you I would hold off until the Galaxy S II arrives. The first one was great (despite the GPS/SD card issues) and the reviews for the II are stellar.

I hope it is out by September, as I'll be back in Canada then and will be upgrading asap. I could buy it here, but prices for electronics in Taiwan are ridiculous.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunzite View Post
What droid do you suggest?
None actually. Android is still in it's infant stages. Given the fact you had a BB I would mostly go with the HTC Desire Z due to the physical keyboard, and also tech specs, it supports up to 14.4Mbps download, like the Atrix, but me what I got most with the Atrix using the speedtest app by ookla was 8Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. I also got 6Mbps using an iPhone 3GS so you can draw the conclusions by yourself. In the actual configuration, Bell/Telus network is good up to 21Mbps (on paper, although I have seen U998 turbosticks reaching 17Mbps) and in selected areas a dual sim access can offer increased speeds (on paper up to 42Mbps). Serves to nothing to have LTE as long as the devices cannot match the speed of the network.
Update 9th of June 2011 : with a Galaxy S Vibrant 9000 (Android 2.2) and iPhone 3GS (4.3.3) next to one another, Speedtest app by Ookla installed on both of them, the samsung is giving me communication error when trying to run the test while the iphone is returning 5Mbps. iPhone simply works, I know it sounds cliche, but is the reality.

Last edited by MARSTG; June 9, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

I take my initial suggestion back. A little bit of yelling @ Rogers and mid month they'll be giving me the hardware upgrade price on a Nexus S. I'll be going that route instead. WOOHOO
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 8, 2011, 12:41 PM
Rookie

Galaxy S is ricking phone, check the overclock features of it