Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD for laptop

Hey all,

I know SSDs are super fast, (relative to conventional HDDs) and I am thinking about upgrading laptop HP tx2517ca with an Kingston v100 128gb SSD.

Do you think this is worth the upgrade? I can't seem to wrap my head around retiring this laptop... It's still pretty good, but it's lacking speed at launching applications and it just feels slow compared to my desktop (obviously). TBH I feel pretty spoiled considering I'm the only one with two computers in my house... so getting a replacement laptop just doesn't feel right to me.

If upgrading the HDD to and SSD would increase performance of launching applications like firefox, office apps.. avg virus scans... phenomenally then I would consider forking out 200 to upgrade to an SSD. I'm not using this laptop to do any renderings... and I don't think I'm doing anything that's CPU intensive other than the apps stated above.

I use this laptop for school and I do occasional browsing of the web around the house.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old May 25, 2011, 03:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feerof View Post
Hey all,

I know SSDs are super fast, (relative to conventional HDDs) and I am thinking about upgrading laptop HP tx2517ca with an Kingston v100 128gb SSD.

Do you think this is worth the upgrade? I can't seem to wrap my head around retiring this laptop... It's still pretty good, but it's lacking speed at launching applications and it just feels slow compared to my desktop (obviously). TBH I feel pretty spoiled considering I'm the only one with two computers in my house... so getting a replacement laptop just doesn't feel right to me.

If upgrading the HDD to and SSD would increase performance of launching applications like firefox, office apps.. avg virus scans... phenomenally then I would consider forking out 200 to upgrade to an SSD. I'm not using this laptop to do any renderings... and I don't think I'm doing anything that's CPU intensive other than the apps stated above.

I use this laptop for school and I do occasional browsing of the web around the house.

Thanks in advance for the help!
My laptop came with a 750GB 5400rpm drive, even with a fresh install it felt fairly sluggish. I ended up taking my intel 80gb out of my desktop and popping it in, and wow what a difference. My boot times are insane! 5 seconds to post and another 30 to the desktop. Everything loads very quickly (sadly the games I play don't seem to be too quick, the chipset on laptops is limiting AFAIK). However, it's a great improvement over the conventional drive. Some added perks are better battery life and having a laptop that makes almost 0 noise. The only noise it makes is the electrical hum of the screen :)

Spend $10 and buy a 2.5" enclosure for your old drive for extra space too :)
Old May 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, I did almost exactly the same thing as JMCD. I popped a X25MG2 into my aging lenovo T61. Although the chipset cannot take full advantage of the SSD, the performance is greatly enhanced as I don't have to wait 10 seconds to launch firefox

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 25, 2011, 05:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

SSD is the way to go :)

Just one thing...the V100 is a "meh" ssd.
At nearly 2 bills for the 128gb version its over priced.

For 20 bucks more you can get a Corsair Perf 3 128GB (after MIR). You wont get the full performance from it...but even on sata 2..it will kick the snot out of the V100 (which was a meh ssd back when even Indilinx was king)!

I dont know if your laptop supports AHCI mode (and thus TRIM) so to be safe I would say go for a Crucial C300 or the M4 or the Corsair Perf 3 (same as the M4). OR an Intel.
All are better SSDs.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 25, 2011, 11:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

THanks for the replies guys,

Unfortunately my I can't seem to locate any information about ACHI support for my laptop (tried going into the bios and seeing if I could change from IDE to ACHI but that feature seems like it's locked by HP), but without TRIM would the performance of the SSD degrade dramatically?

I'm going to take your suggestion to stay away from Kingston and go for the OCZ vertex 2 extended 120 gb ssd, but I'll have to see if I can pull together enough research quick enough before the sale ends at NCIX rofl.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Any one know what performance would be like?
Old May 26, 2011, 03:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you are not 100% sure on trim...stay away from SF drives. They have very, very, very gentle "itgc" and getting into a degraded state is actually pretty easy to do. This is not a good thing and you will notice a slow down within a couple weeks.

Go C300. Trust me, great speeds and great "ITGC" == great SSD even on sata 2 ports. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 26, 2011, 04:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If you are not 100% sure on trim...stay away from SF drives. They have very, very, very gentle "itgc" and getting into a degraded state is actually pretty easy to do. This is not a good thing and you will notice a slow down within a couple weeks.

Go C300. Trust me, great speeds and great "ITGC" == great SSD even on sata 2 ports. :)
ty good sir, i will take your advice
Old May 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe an older Indilinx?