Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need laptop for uni

Hello!

I need to get a laptop this summer for my first year at university in computer engineering. I'm not really sure where to start looking so i hope i can get some advice.

My budget is between $2000-2500. I want something pretty modest sized. like, 13", maybe 15" max.

Most important is battery power. Needs to be able to run for about 5-7 hours minimum.

Im considering getting one that works with a stylus. Ive seen a few people with them, but all the ones ive seen are too slow to work really well. definitely want to take notes with a pen, but might be nice to have digital paper. Plus can color code without having like 20 pens,,

Needs to be fairly powerful as well.

Also,, does anyone know which retailers offer student discounts?

My brother has a MacBook, seems to like it. They give 10% off.

Hope someone can help, thnx,,

Corsair HX1000W PSU

WD 1TB Black Cavair

Gigabyte UD-5 MoBo

Corasair 1600Mhz 6GB RAM

eVGA GTX 275
Thermalright Ultra 120
Window 7 Premium 64-bit

Samsung 275T Plus
Old May 1, 2011, 07:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think all the major names offer student discounts, but possibly only in the USA. And typically speaking, you can find good sales around fall-time anyways due to the "back to school" frenzy.

The Samsung 9-series or Sony S and CA might be suitable. Also probably some ASUS models but they have way too many for me to remember off hand ;) I'd recommend 13-14" assuming you'll be carrying this around daily. And a 9-cell battery should get you 5-7h of light usage. Obviously if you go with a quad-core CPU and high-performance graphics, the battery won't last as long though. Have to find the right balance that suits your needs.

I'd probably avoid the touch-screen. Usually means you have to get lesser performance for the same amount of money.

And I'd strongly recommend getting a SSD. It really makes all the difference IMO as far as performance is concerned. Laptop hard drives are just too slow.
Old May 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
Rookie

Your requirements are a perfect match for the Lenovo Thinkpad x220.

They even have a convertible tablet model with a stylus for an extra couple hundred bucks, the x220t.

The battery life on them is unbelievable, many independent tech blogs have rated the usable battery life around 7 to 8 hours. Plus, if you need even longer life, theres an additional "slice battery" that adds several more hours and only adds a few centimeters to the thickness of the notebook.

Theres also an option for an IPS monitor panel, if your like me and you really care about a quality screen, I would recommend it.

Granted, I'm kind of a Thinkpad fanboy, but every single review of the x220s I have seen love them.

I don't know about student discounts, but they will fall well below your price range, but basic x220 starts around ~$1000.
Old May 2, 2011, 02:21 AM
Top Prospect

hmm,,, thing is, don't want to get stuck with a gimiky product.

but on the other hand, seems like it would be really conveniant way to keep all my notes organized and clean without stacks of notebooks and lots of whiteout.

ofcourse, is a long way off before i actually make a purchase,, as you say, deals are in the fall, and cant get student discount till i am actually a student, so lots of time to think on it

I have been looking around, really didnt expect there to be so many options for touchscreen laptop. seems that just about every major brand has their own attempt at it.

I think so far, my favorite is the Fujitsu Lifebook T900. although i think it is also the most expensive option. o.o

its just inside my price range at about 2400$ when decked out. thats with i7-640M, 4gb ram with 1 empty slot, 13" screen, and upgraded battery (brings 5 hour life up to just over 8, but is a $135 upgrade). Also, getting a screen that can sense fingers adds another 50$ to that and means it doesnt have antiglare. Weight is quite good though at about 4.5lbs without fancy battery.

Other downfall is the harddrive the comes with it (and all available ones) are kinda sucky, save for the SDD's which are $180 for 64gb and $380 for 128gb. prolly will end up buying that seperate tho. kindof a waste of the one that comes with it (160gb/5400rpm) but would end up being cheaper (even going one step up to 320gb/5400rpm is $85)

Some reviews mentioned that Fujitsu otherwise specializes in graphics tablets so they're screens are quite good i think.

Corsair HX1000W PSU

WD 1TB Black Cavair

Gigabyte UD-5 MoBo

Corasair 1600Mhz 6GB RAM

eVGA GTX 275
Thermalright Ultra 120
Window 7 Premium 64-bit

Samsung 275T Plus
Old May 3, 2011, 02:52 PM
Rookie

I would seriously recommend you at least take a look at the x220. It features the latest Sandy-Bridge processors that will be considerably more powerful then the i7 in laptop you mentioned.

Plus, you decide to get the touch screen model and decide you don't like it, just flip it around and use it as a regular notebook.

They also come in at under 3 pounds.

Seriously, Thinkpad quality is legendary, in my opinion they are the best laptops you can buy.

I wouldn't worry about stock harddrives on any laptop. Harddrives are a quick and easy upgrade more most computer savvy people. Don't forget that you will get slightly better battery life out of a 5400rpm drive at the expense of speed.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I think all the major names offer student discounts, but possibly only in the USA. And typically speaking, you can find good sales around fall-time anyways due to the "back to school" frenzy.
It will also discount for Canadians. I had to help a friend pick up hers for school last semester (It was brutal...).
Old May 10, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You may consider a Vaio Z.

At any rate, asking now is kind of pointless, considering that by the fall there will be tons of new models on the market, many with Sandy Bridge parts.