Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default How switch HDD to SSD

Hello,

I have finally decided to get a SSD for my X120e, I would like to make the switch of hard drive, but how should I proceed in order to get everything to work in an easy manner. I don't have the SSD yet, but it should be on its way.

Thanks
Old April 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Hello,

I have finally decided to get a SSD for my X120e, I would like to make the switch of hard drive, but how should I proceed in order to get everything to work in an easy manner. I don't have the SSD yet, but it should be on its way.

Thanks
Do what I did: Pull the drive, throw in the SSD, install Windows 7 fresh using a similar install disc (I know one didnt come with the x120e - I used a W7HP x64 disc I already had and it accepted the key without issues for activation). No problems at all with mine thus far, loving it.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you are going from a Sata HDD to a sata SSD you can use Imaging software to transfer your install. Save time yes, but then you will have to manually make changes in Windows to work with your SSD, like enable TRIM if supported, turn off Defrag, and other tweaks.

+1 for fresh install of Windows.
Old April 28, 2011, 11:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Best way is a fresh install. SOMEITMES reimager's like Acronis TI and the like mess the offest up. 4K alignment is crucial to good performance. You can fix the offset afterwords...but fresh is always best. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 29, 2011, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Do what I did: Pull the drive, throw in the SSD, install Windows 7 fresh using a similar install disc (I know one didnt come with the x120e - I used a W7HP x64 disc I already had and it accepted the key without issues for activation). No problems at all with mine thus far, loving it.
Ok, sounds possible, but then I would need to add the activation key (I guess I can see it now on the laptop, right ?) and I guess I won't be installing the lenovo program which I possibly never need ?
Old April 29, 2011, 06:41 AM
Banned
F@H

most pc's,laptops.. come standard with a bunch of bloatware that not only,like you said,dont need but also make it slower..etc.

so,fresh install,but before you do anything apply all the updates known to man. yes,sp1 too. see if it borks it..if all ok? then go ahead and start
installing your proggies etc. and when you install the os,disable the wireless,pull the lan plug in the back,etc. just in case. one of me buds got a nice
surprise not too long ago. remember kids,always pull the plug,then update asap!
Old April 29, 2011, 06:58 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I dont understand dangtx's posts ever...

Anyways... to answer your question, yes you can install windows using a generic CD and activate it using the key ob the bottom of the laptop. If for whatever reason the activation doesnt work, use the automatic telephone activation system. I've used it many times and they can almost always get the activation to work.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Whats not to understand? Its a logical post that is actually very good advice.

UNPLUG the LAN cable / Turn OFF wifi. Nuke and start fresh. Plug back into the net and Upgrade the OS, see if it borks anything. THEN spend your time installing your programs. Nothing sucks worse than flushing an hour or more of time spent on program installs from a borked installed.

The ONLY thing I do differently is before I plug back in is I install avira / Nod32 /etc AND malwarebytes. THEN and only then do I plug the rj45 back in. THEN I upgrade those crucial programs. THen and ONLY then do I upgrade the OS and apply the shit ton of patches (though usualy not all that many as I ussually just slip stream em all into the install USB drive image I use...DVDs are so last gen). Then I install Office, CS5, etc etc.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 29, 2011, 08:27 AM
Banned
F@H

very good point. latest avira should be decent,even before it gets last minute updates.
and i must stress the service pack install before anything,as ive seen it first hand screwing some machines.
dude spent another install and no sp lol..
Old April 29, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yah, I know, that's precisely what happened when I tried to install it on this laptop, I stood away from it since then, but I'll look into it.