Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   suggest me a tablet. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/42818-suggest-me-tablet.html)

kyle_L April 25, 2011 10:07 AM

suggest me a tablet.

im looking at getting a tablet. nothing fancy or expensive. what i need from it is to surf the net, and would like if i could stream backed up movies and tv from my computer would be great if it played 720p. thanks to all who can help me out.

enaberif April 25, 2011 11:02 AM

eee transformer

FiXT April 25, 2011 11:40 AM

Entertainment device or work device?

iPad 2 is hard to beat as an entertainment device. Speaking as an iPhone owner, as a work, syncing, and collaborative device - iOS blows. I have to use 7 different programs to join my email/calendar and tasks in a decent manner and even then it's a very kludgey system.

In my experience, Android based tablets leave a lot to be desired in terms of functionality. There simply isn't the polished feel you experience with iOS or BB. MFGs have not optimized Honeycomb for their products, which is very evident from the first time you lay a finger on it, even tablets more powerful than the iPad feel sluggish, laborious and unintuitive. I am HOPING this will change as the OS matures, and it seems to be 100% software, as we KNOW the hardware is powerful enough. However they are much more friendly as project and work focused tablets. The interaction with other google products is pivotal, the general design of honeycomb is much better for a user who needs and wants to know what's going on, is part of collaborative projects, and is using the tablet more as you would your work desk, with notepad, calendar, task manager etc.
My suggestion for android based tablet would be to check out the EEE Transformer/Pad BUT BUT BUT - Wait for an Acer product that's expected to debut sometime in May. It looks very promising and despite the fact that Acer may not be heavily focus on exceptional quality with their notebooks, this tablet is supposed to be another story.

The Motorola XOOM is nice, I just feel it may be a little overpriced?

Playbook is an interesting mix - it actually has excellent media qualities, I would prefer it over the iPad for a media device and web based consumption. As a work device, it's only useful if you are a blackberry user and have your crackberry surgically attached to your body. As a complete entertainment (games, books, media, productivity) it simply doesn't have a well developed library to support it.... yet.

SKYMTL April 25, 2011 11:57 AM

iPad. I know, I know....I hate to say it too.

Everything else just feels a good generation behind and many competitors are more expensive as well...

CMetaphor April 25, 2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 509263)
iPad. I know, I know....I hate to say it too.

Everything else just feels a good generation behind and many competitors are more expensive as well...

EEE-anything? Tegra 2 > Ipads Proc?

Hell, A nook color might even be a good option.

SKYMTL April 25, 2011 12:37 PM

I find it ironic that everyone touts the Tegra processor but forgets to mention the Honeycomb OS is currently a pile of steaming feces regardless of the processor it is hooked up to. Let's all hope Google can improve it because there is certainly potential.

enaberif April 25, 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 509281)
I find it ironic that everyone touts the Tegra processor but forgets to mention the Honeycomb OS is currently a pile of steaming feces regardless of the processor it is hooked up to. Let's all hope Google can improve it because there is certainly potential.

We get it you love Apple :)

The Android OS offers so much more over the iOS its not even funny.

SKYMTL April 25, 2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 509285)
We get it you love Apple :)

The Android OS offers so much more over the iOS its not even funny.

Do tell. Maybe you speak of Flash? Oh wait, it's "coming soon" on literally every tablet out there and consistently crashes on the rest. Like I said: Android has the POTENTIAL but it is a perfect case study in why open platforms can be bad as they lead to market fragmentation and a lack of cohesive design goals.

Personally, I hold no deep rooted love of Apple products (it'll be a dark day in hell when I get an iPhone or Mac) but the current crop of Android-based tablets just can't compete at their current ridiculous prices.

I go with the company that brings a great product to the table for a reasonable price. So far, none of Apple's competitors have been able to do that.

richuwo11 April 25, 2011 01:53 PM

Asus Transformer or nothing...

16gb is $399
32gb is $499 and so on...

keyboard dock is $150

I highly suggest that everyone watches these two YouTube video walkthroughs of the device:
YouTube - eee pad transformer home review Asus
YouTube - Eee pad transformer home review Asus part II

kyle_L April 25, 2011 02:12 PM

after watching the 2 videos above it looks like it will do everything i want it to. so i guess i just have to wait for it to come out now.