Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question laptop for 400$

hi,
I am planning to get msi cr500.

it's cpu is T4500 ,which lacks Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel Trusted Execution Technology.

IntelŪ PentiumŪ Processor T4500 (1M Cache, 2.30 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)with SPEC Code(s)

what is the use of Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel Trusted Execution Technology

any popular applications using the same ?

please advice .
Old April 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

hmmm .didnt get any advice .
I got 2 offers

1.msi cr500 15.6".specs =t4400cpu+nvidia 8200m+4gb ddr2+500gb hdd 5400rpm+vista home premium

2.Asus X42DE-VX098D white 14" . specs =Athlon II P320+2 GB DDR3+HD 5470 512MB+320gb 5400rpm+no OS

which one is better ?
Old April 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i personally had bad experience with amd laptops, they overheat pretty easily that was with my turion 2 xm-72
and they kill your battery really fast(athlon 2 might be better tho ).
But if i had to pick between the two, i will stil go with the asus since it has a newer and better gpu and cpu compared to the msi you listed.
I noe im contradicting myself here.....

you might want to check out the newer fusion laptops though before making your decision.
Old April 27, 2011, 09:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojjjk View Post
what is the use of Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel Trusted Execution Technology
If you don't know, you don't need it ;)

It's used for virtualization using things like VMware or VirtualBox. No "normal" software uses it.

I'd lean towards the ASUS as well simply because it's newer though I'd suggest upgrading it to 4GB of RAM.
Old April 27, 2011, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks guys ..really helped..
1 .asus site shows no linux & xp support or drivers .is it possible to add ubuntu.I am planning to install xp,win7 and ubuntu

2. can I get decent battery life with Athlon II P320 cpu ?
Old April 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The hardware used on the ASUS is pretty standard. Ubunutu will definitely work, although you may need to find your own WiFi drivers. XP same thing, might need to source out a few drivers, but it'll work too. Usually going to the manufacturers site of the hardware, say Broadcom for wireless, and they should have drivers.

Battery life is entirely relative. Depends on your screen brightness, what your doing on the laptop, WiFi on/off, etc. You should, at the very least, get 1 hour from it with everything maxed out. More normal usage will probably give you 2-3h.
Old April 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@ JD -Thanks again. main use is browsing (90% ) & gaming (10%)
@chubaka -fusion laptops ? - are they cheap ?
Old April 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Fusion laptops are very reasonably priced, but usually more of a netbook form factor (so like 12" screen). They are also slower than that ASUS you found as far as I know.
Old April 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojjjk View Post
Thanks guys ..really helped..
1 .asus site shows no linux & xp support or drivers .is it possible to add ubuntu.I am planning to install xp,win7 and ubuntu

2. can I get decent battery life with Athlon II P320 cpu ?
Hello, OP. I'm keeping my eyes open on cheap laptops, too. I'd like to get one around $500. I have had suggestions to wait until the next gen. of AMD laptops but they might be around $600 so I don't know.

As for installing those OS incl. Ubuntu, it depends on hardware. I'm going by a general rule of thumb... either ATI or Intel (some have both) for the mobile gpu and usually the wifi cards are Intel or Realtek, I think. Sometimes Atheros.

Don't get a Nvidia Optimus gpu if you want to install any Linux OS on it. Nvidia is not supporting it. You'd be forced to disable the Nvidia tech. of the gpu from functioning so the battery life benefits or hybrid part of it is gono*. :-/

It all depends on what size of screen, whether you want it really thin and cosmetics, imho. For that price, they're almost all consumer laptops. I think Dell has some 'newer' technologies or newer processors with the Vostro. I think they're about $500. Right now, the laptops with the Fusion E-350 processors is probably the best best for a $400 price. Others here probably know more, though.
Old April 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

wow.thanks again friends.
I am planning to get a 14 " /a 15.6" screen .so that I can read all stuffs in internet without any issue .
I am not planning to wait for fusion laptops ..I need 14 "screen at least .