Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Default A decent laptop for $500?

Is it possible to get a half decent laptop for $500?

I have two old Thinkpads that are defective and I was wondering what to do. I read that BB (or is somebody else?) has some program of getting a discount if you trade-in your old laptop?

It's not worth fixing either. One won't even turn on and the other has various issues. I wanted something up to date or modern, too. I don't need to game on it but I don't want it slow or sluggish, either. I would like it to be capable of playing a movie or basic 3D without freezing up.

I think the newer Intel HD GPU is sufficient, right? It's in a lot of low price laptops so I thought I'd make sure it's good enough. Also, some of these newer laptops around this price has ATI cards so that's fine, too. I would like 5+ hrs battery life if it's possible for that price. I don't want to go much higher than that. $600-ish at the very most.

Any laptops that are any good for that? I suppose that means restrictions of Acers, HP, maybe Toshiba? I like Sony Vaio since I do like the Mac chicklet keyboard (started by Sony?) design. However, I have read that Toshiba's cheap line, the Satellite series, is probably the best of the cheapo laptops out there. Although, the Acer Aspire Timeline (?) series seems to get good reviews considering it's an Acer.

What should I do? I can either wait until I have $500 to $600 (which would happen sooner than investing in some business line $1000+ machine) or make do with the trash I have now. LOL!

I just like to have a working laptop. The current ones always require workarounds and provoke headaches!

The other factor is that it would give me a reason to add a SSD! lol! I think you almost have to get one if you have a brand new laptop!

It would be cool to obtain some recommendations and advice if only to have a clue or idea of what would be a good buy since there's so many laptops.... I cannot keep track of them all and what new lines come out and all that! Too depressing reading about new X technology in this laptop and it can do all this but it only costs $2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15IN I3-390M 4GB 320GB DVDRW Windows 7 Professional 64 Notebook - Others - 0301JAU - in Canada

I've seen it lower than that too. My next purchase.
Old June 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i would wait a bit more for the new AMD A series to get on the market. Those integrated gpu units seem perfect for what you want.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I like Toshiba laptops personally. Plenty of choices depending on what you want. They are always running sales.

Toshiba Direct | Weekly Laptop Deals and Special Offers
Old June 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

At the upper end of your price range, but I just picked up this not too long ago and am very happy with it: NCIX.com - Buy Acer Aspire AS5552G-7464 AMD Phenom II X4 N970 6GB 500GB 15.6IN Radeon 6650 DVDRW WIN7 HP Notebook - Acer - LX.RC402.067 - in Canada

Sims 3 medieval is the most strenuous thing we've run on it so far and it ran perfect at max settings.

Not sure about battery life though, as we usually keep it plugged in. I don't imagine it's too long with that vid card in there though