Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2011, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Default Another 'recommend me a laptop' thread...

Hey everyone... a couple of days ago my car was broken into and my laptop was stolen, and now I'm looking for another one, but it's proving to be harder than I thought it would be to find one with the specs and features that I want. The one that got stolen was an Asus G51VX, the main reason I chose this one before was two main features: full 1080P HD on a 15.6" screen, and a keyboard with a number pad. This combination is proving very difficult to find with today's selection of laptops. The new Asus models have become overgrown monsters with huge thick vents on the back and power supplies the size of small houses, so they're not really an option anymore as I do want something more or less easily portable.

In terms of other specs, I need something pretty high-end. I'm not a huge gamer but I need it to be able to run multiple Adobe CS5 programs, Vectorworks, and Autocad, and other resource-hogging stuff.

Here's my list of wants...

- 1080P on a display no bigger than 15.6"
- Core I7, I'm not too dead-set on any particular one
- At least 6GB of RAM
- Hard drives: not too worried about capacity but two drive bays would be preferrable for upgrading purposes
- Keyboard with number pad

Obviously the more other features and extras it has on top of these, the better. USB3 and Blu-ray would be nice.

Brand: doesn't matter too much, but I've had bad experiences with HP and Dell.

Budget: don't care, insurance is paying for it. The more I can get out of this, the better.

Thanks for looking...
Old April 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

MSI GT660R COREI7-740QM,W7HP64 GT660R-494US

it wasnt easy but i found something
Old April 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your reply... I'm not surprised there aren't many options out there. At this point I'm seriously considering sacrificing the full-size keyboard and going with a Lenovo W520, which seems to be made for everything I need - particualrly, professional (not gaming-oriented) graphics, plenty of RAM, plenty of I/O options, and much better power management than what I got from the Asus. I just wish they made bigger hard drives an option, or 2 hard drives without sarificing the optical drive. Thanks again.
Old April 9, 2011, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am one of those people who need a numpad also as I use excel incessantly. My last work laptop was a 15" with no numpad and I got by using a usb numpad. Mind you, not the ideal solution if you are trying to use the pc on your lap somewhere.

Honestly, I would consider a 17" laptop just to get a full keyboard and numpad, plus more 17 inchers have dual HDD slots. Also, I would be looking for something with an nvidia GPU with Optimus to maximize battery life.

Or just play the classic insurance game and get a crazy $4500 alienware m17x :)
Old April 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

if money is not an issue ,then
PC CANADA - ASUS G73SW-3DE I7-2630QM 3D 8G-DDR3,500GX2 HD,BD BURNER, 17.3,W7HP,NV GTX 460M 1.5G,BT [G73SW-3DE] - The Original and Highly Rated All-Canadian WebStore
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G73SW-3DE 17.3IN FHD 120HZ 3D I7-2630QM 8GB 1TB GeForce GTX 460M WIN7 Prem BD Burner Notebook - ASUS - G73SW-3DE - in Canada
ASUS G73Sw-3DE 17.3" Notebook Computer (Black) G73SW-3DE
you will get a blu ray burner+ 3D +I7-2630QM +8GB mem+1TB hdd+GTX 460M 1.5GB+Gaming Backpack/Gaming Mouse, 3D Vision Glasses+win7 64 bit home premium .