Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Good android tablet

So someone stole my girlfriends iPod touch and I'm currently looking for an android tablet that somewhat matches what it does but it cheaper... She had 2nd or 3rd generation so it doesnt need to have a camera or anything.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

are you willing to get something that's physicall larger than the ipod touch as there's not much else in that form factor. Never the less take a look at the Cowon S9 it's pretty similar not sure if it's android or win ce based though.

Old March 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There's a Galaxy S2 Media Player of sorts coming out later this year which is basically the Galaxy S2 (phone) without the 3G-radios. Making it a direct competitor to the iPod touch but just Android based instead.

However, no Android "tablet" is going to be cheaper than an iPod Touch that I'm aware of. Most tablets are around 7-10" and the cheap ones are absolutely terrible.

You might be able to find a Zune HD for cheap (as they're now discontinued) but it's still a very solid media player IMO as I have one.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Look into some of the Archos products: NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

A couple android based units that hover around the $300+ range of an ipod touch. I can't vouch for their quality though. As JD said, most of the popular and well reviewed products have a starting price of at least $600.
Old March 21, 2011, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Look into some of the Archos products: NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

A couple android based units that hover around the $300+ range of an ipod touch. I can't vouch for their quality though. As JD said, most of the popular and well reviewed products have a starting price of at least $600.
A guy at my school has one of these: Buy the Archos 7 Refurbished Android Internet Tablet 8GB at TigerDirect.ca

And honestly, it's the slowest thing ever. My Galaxy S is far faster and the Super AMOLED screen simply outshines that Archos. Very dull looking and uses a stylus still. He did put Froyo (Android 2.2) on it rather than the 1.5 it comes with, but it still didn't seem that great IMO.

Most of these low-end tablets will require you to root the thing and installing a custom ROM as well, otherwise it's nearly un-usable in most cases. Assuming there is an active development community surrounding it that is.

Tread carefully and make sure you can find some community support for the device. Most of these Android tablets lack any support from the vendor and get stuck on out-dated versions of Android.