Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 06:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Laptop Suggestion

I think it's time I suckered down and got a laptop. Problem is ... I don't know where to start. I know what I want but things like brands and pricing and stuff like that I'm not too sure of. So I was thinking I can post what I wanted and if someone could recommend me something.

-I need something I can somewhat game on. I'm not talking Crysis here, I just mean something I can run Starcraft 2, Call of Duty, and Left 4 Dead on the lowest - medium settings at so I can pick up and play when I'm going through a withdrawal

-Needs to be portable!!! I'm not looking to get a massive 17 inch computer here. My brother has a 13 inch Macbook and that is like the PERFECT size but I don't think Apple is going to provide what I want here. Then again I don't want this teeny computer I can't type on. I don't have huge hands but I would like adequate space. I would like to take it to school with me every now and then but I don't need it every day. I also will take it with me a lot when I go out places

-Cheap! Like I'm talking under $700 or even cheaper if that's at all possible The cheaper the better. I really only need this thing to last me 2-3 years tops!

-I'll use it mostly for: Office Software, Odd gaming, Photoshop and InDesign, Guitar Pro. So I mean its for like moderate use

-Hard drive space isn't a big deal for me. I could suffice with about 100GB so I mean storage isn't an issue whats so ever.

-Ascetics: as long as it's not bright pink I'm happy
Old March 7, 2011, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A $700 13-14" gaming laptop isn't really feasible...maybe around $1000-1500.

I'd probably wait a few more months. There should be some more thin and light "gaming" laptops coming out soon.

I think right now the best contenders are ASUS and Sony but I can't recall the models off hand.
Old March 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would of suggested an Alienware m11x, but they start at $800

I'll see what I can dig up

EDIT: From what I can see, you might not get a dedicated card for under $700
Old March 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can thank me later. Haha. Most popular portable gaming laptop right now, and for good reasons. I have it's weaker sibling, one with a ATI 5470 instead of 6550.

Acer AS3820TG-6829, Notebook - Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz, 13.3" LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6550 1GB, No ODD, Wireless BGN, Bluetooth, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium | Canada Computers
Old March 7, 2011, 11:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

there is a really good deal on a gateway laptop @ the source

gpu, cpu is good but the screen res is @1366x768 for a 15 incher?????

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/theso...0-mir-1011478/
Gateway NV5922H 15.6-inch Bilingual Laptop PC - Blue | Laptops - English | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
Old March 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post

Gateway NV5922H 15.6-inch Bilingual Laptop PC - Blue | Laptops - English | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
This is essentially the laptop I got from NCIX at christmas, mine came with a 750GB drive, 2.4ghz i3 and nvidia 420m. It plays l4d2 at 60fps at the native res with no problems. Even bad company 2 is playable at medium settings around 30fps. You don't need to spend a lot of money for a low end gaming laptop. I paid $550 on a big sale at christmas, and I believe that GPU is comparable to mine. The battery life on mine is 6-7 hours for school work too, and it's quite portable.

Gateway 15.6" Intel Core i3 370M Laptop (NV5916H) - Blue : 15" Laptops - Future Shop

Last edited by JMCD; March 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

see if you can find this a bit cheaper on price bat Acer Aspire Timeline 3820TG-6829 w/ Core i5-480M, 4GB, 500GB, 13.3in HD, Radeon HD 6550M, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit at Memory Express Computers

or just pay spend 800 instead of 700

edit, just noticed it has no dvd
Old March 8, 2011, 12:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
You can thank me later. Haha. Most popular portable gaming laptop right now, and for good reasons. I have it's weaker sibling, one with a ATI 5470 instead of 6550.

Acer AS3820TG-6829, Notebook - Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz, 13.3" LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6550 1GB, No ODD, Wireless BGN, Bluetooth, HDMI, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium | Canada Computers
But is Acer's build quality good? I don't know. The specs and price are impressive though.

My XPS m1330 has held up perfectly over the past 3 years or so. The 9-cell battery still holds a solid 6h charge. Used to get closer to 8h though. I didn't buy the model with the fail 8400GS graphics though. And it's built from magnesium alloy or something like that so it feels solid. Not like some of these current day laptops that feel like it'll snap in half if you pick it up with 1 hand.
Old March 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
I would of suggested an Alienware m11x, but they start at $800

I'll see what I can dig up

EDIT: From what I can see, you might not get a dedicated card for under $700
I was actually really considering the Alienware MX11 because I saw them at $599 only to realize I wasn't on the Canadian site :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post

Thanks I bookmarked this...A little bit more than I wanted to spend but if it comes down to it I might just pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post

Thanks I bookmarked this :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
This is essentially the laptop I got from NCIX at christmas, mine came with a 750GB drive, 2.4ghz i3 and nvidia 420m. It plays l4d2 at 60fps at the native res with no problems. Even bad company 2 is playable at medium settings around 30fps. You don't need to spend a lot of money for a low end gaming laptop. I paid $550 on a big sale at christmas, and I believe that GPU is comparable to mine. The battery life on mine is 6-7 hours for school work too, and it's quite portable.

Gateway 15.6" Intel Core i3 370M Laptop (NV5916H) - Blue : 15" Laptops - Future Shop
Thanks this is one to consider too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazzwa View Post
see if you can find this a bit cheaper on price bat Acer Aspire Timeline 3820TG-6829 w/ Core i5-480M, 4GB, 500GB, 13.3in HD, Radeon HD 6550M, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit at Memory Express Computers

or just pay spend 800 instead of 700

edit, just noticed it has no dvd
A little bit more than I wanted to pay but I will keep an eye out for a cheaper one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
But is Acer's build quality good? I don't know. The specs and price are impressive though.

My XPS m1330 has held up perfectly over the past 3 years or so. The 9-cell battery still holds a solid 6h charge. Used to get closer to 8h though. I didn't buy the model with the fail 8400GS graphics though. And it's built from magnesium alloy or something like that so it feels solid. Not like some of these current day laptops that feel like it'll snap in half if you pick it up with 1 hand.
That was one question I was asking myself while reading about some Acers that are being recommended. I never was fond of Acer but I don't know if that's just me being biased and closed minded.

Everyone thanks for your input I already have a few I am picking between. But I guess I'm deciding if I should wait for something to go on a massive sale? I don't need this laptop tomorrow I just need it within like the next month or so.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My gateway is made by Acer, haven't had any issues with it, nor have I with any Acer products in the past. You do get what you pay for...I think for the cost/value they are priced right. I think the gateway I linked you to is also made by Acer.