Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Laptop suggestion

My gf's laptop has been on its last miles for the 2 years, I can't stand having it plugged all the time and trying not to move otherwise the charger doesn't charge. Its time for something new.

**I've inspired myself from Sky's thread, I hope you won't mind.**

The requirements for the laptop are as follow:

- It may be used to watch movies
- It may be used to game (old ones if its the case), so this is not important
- It is not required, but strongly prefered if it had an HDMI out.

Processor:
- I don't need a godzilla like processor, but I'd like something faster than the Pentium M she has.
- Wouldn't mind AMD processor as long as it fits the above requirements

Screen:
- I would like to have it no bigger than 14in. 12.1 would surely work, but any less won't work.
- VERY strongly preferable if it was NOT a glossy screen

Battery:
- It needs to have a good battery life: 5+ hours

Weight:
- She would like it thin and light, yet durable

Looks:
- Did I mention this was for a girl ?
- So yeah, it does need to have some looks.

Budget:
- As budgetised as possible. Technically there is no limit, but this started by looking at a sub 400$ laptop, now we are eyeing a 600$ one. So let's try to keep it below 600$ pre tax.

Warranty:
The previous laptop she's had left a very sour taste into our mouth, just about everything broke on it. So we'd like to go for quality over price (read above).

Now I have done a bit of research and I am not exactly the most knowledgeable when it comes to laptops. Which companies are good, which are not ? I know I personally do not like the keyboards and the mouse pad of the Acer, but she doesn't seem to mind.

We've looked at the Vostro V130 which had integrated battery life, so we looked elsewhere.

Then the Vostro 3400 looks pretty good, for now it is the one we are leaning to. The CPU is overkill, the battery life is below the needs, but with a 9 cell battery it should work.

We've also looked at the Acer Timeline series which she likes but I am having a hard time finding reviews about it, good prices and where to buy.

I realize that for the main needs a netbook would work, but I am undecided about that.

Thanks a lot for the help, it is very appreciated as usual.
Old February 6, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like this Asus.

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS U35JC-A1 13.3IN 1366X768 Core I3-370M GeForce 310M Optimus 4GB 500G8 WIN7 Prem Notebook - U35JC-A1 In Canada.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 7, 2011, 04:49 AM
Allstar

Have you ever tried to get your laptop serviced with Asus?

I had a motherboard go on one and it took me eons to get customer service to not only respond but to finally provide me with an RMA#. I was also charge $41.00 for shipping even though there policy says otherwise:

Quote:
ASUS POLICY :

ASUS provides free shipping for our customers and will arrange a FedEx pick-up
for you. FedEx will pick up your notebook the following business day of when you
were issued a RMA number. FedEx pick-up time is schedule between the hours of
12:00 PM 6:00 PM. Please have your notebook packaged & ready before the
scheduled FedEx pick-up arrives. Please be informed that this shipping privilege
does not include shipping material.
I called them to resolve this issue in October without resolute and now Fed Ex has sent a letter from collectors for the money. FedEx is doing nothing about this and Asus "is looking into it"

Give Asus a call, there prompts alone will give you and indication on how unprofessional they are when it comes to customer service:

1 (888) 678-3688

CHEERS
Old February 7, 2011, 06:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Dell Vostro series, the new Lenovo x120e (11.3" matte screen + AMD Fusion), ASUS B-series.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:13 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

This is what I'm considering getting, unless I get a tablet:
Sony Announces YB Series, AMD Fusion-powered 11.6-inch Notebook

11.6 inches, AMD fusion 1.6Ghz (yes much faster than a Pent M), its a Sony (style points), supposedly over 6hrs batt life, backlit keyboard.... etc .... etc ... etc....

Cant say enough good things about this laptop/netbook. Availability should be soon (Im hoping) here in Canada.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:28 AM

I saw the YB series at CES and it was a good looking design. However, it sported one of the most glossy screens I have seen in my life. That alone would kill it for me.

Supposedly the YB series is shipping in the US and should show up on the Sony Style Canada website this week for around $650 - $700 CAD.

One comment I have to make about Sony is an utter lack of quality, I bought a Z1290 (a laptop that normally went for $2700) for a good price a few months ago and so far my plamrest squeaks, the left click button on the trackpad makes a loud "CLACK" sound every now and then, the battery is slightly loose, the screen exhibits some minor flickering when I Alt+Tab from one program to another and the dual SSDs stutter if I don't let the automatic levelling routines run with the system at idle for at least 6 hours per week.

In addition, the amount of bloatware Sony laptops come with is simply EPIC. I had 109 processes running (at idle!) when the system shipped to me.

I love this laptop but would I buy another Sony? Hell no.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:43 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If said issues were resolved with this new model, would it be worth getting? I absolutely love the look of the YB, but if these quality issues occur in this new model then I'll probably be looking at the x120e as well... Bleh, cant they make those look cooler? Looks like every other lenovo/ibm ever (even looks like an ancient R32 that i saw thrown out the other day, lol).
Old February 7, 2011, 08:13 AM

The problem is that the Z-series is their flagship model. The YB is a budget model. If there are QA issues on a high-end model, I can't imagine the horror stories that will happen with a budget-friendly product.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Yarg. Well then i'll be crossing my fingers on the YB then... and more importantly waiting for reviews to come in relating to their quality. Until then, I guess the x120e is indeed the front runner.
Old February 7, 2011, 08:42 AM

What pisses me off is that NOT ONE review mentioned any issues with the Vaio Z's build quality. Guess that's what happens when a reviewer uses it for an hour or two, rushes the review out the door and moves on to the next one...