Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 09:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

how good are those new fusion processors? Lost hope in amd laptops with my overly hot /battery busting dv3z with a rm-72 athlon 2 proc...
Old February 9, 2011, 10:08 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
how good are those new fusion processors? Lost hope in amd laptops with my overly hot /battery busting dv3z with a rm-72 athlon 2 proc...
According to the early reviews and benchmarks thus far, they are:
A) Far, far faster than Intel Atoms.
B) Their integrated GPU is pretty much equal to ION2 options.
C) They produce far less heat than the Athlon II "Neo" mobile processors.
D) They have at least 1.5-2hrs increased battery life over netbooks/laptops using the above.

All in all theyre looking like an amazing options for netbooks/small notebook/ultraportables/tablets, but ill wait till more reviews come out (including hopefully a HWC one) before deciding what I want to to buy.

Trying to stay OT though, sorry to the OP. Just trying to provide the most info possible for ya.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Trying to stay OT though, sorry to the OP. Just trying to provide the most info possible for ya.
Don't be sorry, all the questions asked regarding this topic from close or far is of interest.

I am quite unsure there would be a review of a laptop on HWC, I don't think I recall seeing any. Yes it would be nice, but I don't think it would be very likely. One can still cross its fingers tho.

The fusion processor seem to be "weak" compared to Intel's T4000 series, i3's UM processors and AMD's Athlon II codenamed Champlain, but then again I don't think most users need all that power.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:22 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
The fusion processor seem to be "weak" compared to Intel's T4000 series, i3's UM processors and AMD's Athlon II codenamed Champlain, but then again I don't think most users need all that power.
Thats because Zacate/Brazos isnt intended to up against those options. Theyre intended primarily for the low-power/mobility sectors IMO such as netbooks and tablets. AMD will use Llano to compete with those other options later this year. But in your case, for your GF, a fusion processor/apu would be plenty and offer great battery life as well (because we've all forgotten the power brick at one time or another).

If you're still looking for other alternatives let us know, I know you mentioned a screen size around 12inches and that "less wouldn't work", but 11.6 inches for the x120e/DM1z isn't very far off.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yah, 11.6 should be ok... I personally find it would be great to have such a portable notebook.

For the time being the choices are:

Vostro 3400
X120e
That HP 11.6 notebook (such confusing names)

Of course more suggestions and feedback is always welcomed.

A little thing I personally would love is a backlit keyboard, but it is far from being required.
Old February 10, 2011, 05:54 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Backlit keyboard = Sony YB series. But as Sky pointed out, the quality might not be there (we don't know yet) so best to wait for a full review of one before looking at that one.

And just to make things even more confusing, MSI!
MSI Introduces All-New AMD Platform Laptops U270, X370, CR650 | techPowerUp

Take a look at the X370: Light, thin, AMD E-350/6310 and 13.3 inch screen. Don't know about MSI's quality (never bought one of their laptops/notebooks) but it might be worth a look as well.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Well, I had been happy with my original Wind. Good quality etc. The trackpad DID stop working after A LOT of use but a USB mouse fixed that. ;)
Old February 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Macbook's are very high quality machines.

for $1050 you can get her either the 11.6 inch air with the 64 GB SSD, or the white 13" macbook. Both will game with the 320m, and both have god like batteries (5-6 hours on MBA, 10+ on macbook).

If you hate os x then just install bootcamp (altho don't get the 64 GB air if you do that).

Personally, I think portability should be your greatest concern, I've already got a beast comp for at home, so I switched to a tablet (ipad) for on the go and I love it. I just use a VNC app to access my machine at home from anywhere in the world. I would get the MBA, 64 GB is plenty of space, just keep your movies in the cloud, and don't install more like 2 [massive] games.
Old February 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Please read the First post SneakySnake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Budget:
- As budgetised as possible. Technically there is no limit, but this started by looking at a sub 400$ laptop, now we are eyeing a 600$ one. So let's try to keep it below 600$ pre tax.
Therefore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
for $1050 youcan ...
... Not get an Apple product. OP wants 600 or less before tax. Nearly doubling the budget to pay for brand name should be out the question.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ohhh, my bad

i just skimmed the first few pages without reading everything. Yea, don't go apple. You do get what you pay for, but its way over the budget.