Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

View Poll Results: Would you like a bigger or smaller smartphone?
Fit it on the head of a pin if you can! 1 3.13%
Slightly smaller than the current phones woudl be nice 3 9.38%
The Current phones are fine. 17 53.13%
Slightly larger would be acceptable if it meant a better phone. 7 21.88%
Give me a brick if it's durable and has a good battery. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2010, 10:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Does Size matter? (smartphones)

Is it just me or would you guys prefer a bigger, more durable phone with a longer battery life?

I really don't need a phone any smaller than the current ones. In fact I would much rather have a thick phone and have it durable with reasonable reception and battery life. I am using an iphone 3gs at the moment, but have already smashed the glass front twice and the earpiece no longer works. once I dropped the phone and once it was in my pocket and I was lifting some very heavy / awkward pieces of steel and smashed it in my pocket. Speakerphone for every call now :( For the most part I like the features of the phone, but the battery life and lack of reception just kill me. If I'm using the phone heavily for calls/games/web surfing ro anything I can't even make it through a day without having to recharge or use an external battery. I had a motorola e850 with an extended battery that would last 3 full days of continual use. Mind you the phone was over an inch thick, but that was fine with me.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011

Last edited by dustin1706; December 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old December 6, 2010, 09:04 AM

My System Specs

I would love to see a 7" touchscreen smartphone. I think current phones are a tad too small if you use it to browse the internet often.
Old December 6, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

wtf, 7 inches? lol that wouldn't fit in your pocket very easily..

but I do agree that screen sizes can be larger. I'm thinking 5" would be the top end before we start encountering size problems.

I have a touch pro2 - that thing is thick with the included hardware keyboard. The screen is 3.7" and while that's decent... I would prefer larger, at least 4"+

I'm looking to purchase a phone right now with all the bells and whistles (and hardware keyboard).. but there's nothing good on the market IMO.

the droid 2 global is close (but I'd like the secondary camera.. like I said all the bells and whistles)
the desire Z is already old :\

I *am* looking at the LG star though... no hardware keyboard but perhaps a sacrifice might have to be made..
Old December 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have no complaint with the size of today's smartphones. I thought the Torch, The Bold and the Samsung Galaxy S all felt like the right sizes for what they were.
Old December 29, 2010, 06:55 PM
Rookie

I'm okay with the size of current smartphones. 3.2-3.7 inches is pretty good, 4.0 inches would be pushing. I think the Dell Streak is a bit insane, not too far off a tablet.
Old December 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think screen size is good, but I want phones to be thinner to fit in the pocket nicely.
Old December 30, 2010, 12:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

3-4" hits the spot for the smartphone market. If you need something bigger, go buy a tablet or netbook.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the Galaxy Tab or iPad could take calls with a Bluetooth device they would be amazing devices. I'd say current phone sizes are fine, and there are larger 4.3" phones that will be better for surfing the web.
Old December 30, 2010, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
If the Galaxy Tab or iPad could take calls with a Bluetooth device they would be amazing devices. I'd say current phone sizes are fine, and there are larger 4.3" phones that will be better for surfing the web.
The tab can make phone calls.

have owned a nexus one, tmobile g2, vibrant, and an iphone 4 and I have to say, the current sizes are fine.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i don't think size matters. I, for example, am willing to accept any size so long as the phone's purpose and functions are met.