Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Can't find out what kind of hardware in this Laptop

I bought a used Acer 5720 laptop with a borked HDD. I replaced the HDD, installed Windows Vista Home Premium and now have a working laptop.....sort of.

I can go to the Acer website, but there are multiple drivers for this laptop. I want to install the correct ones, but I am unsure of what hardware is in this laptop.

Does anyone kow how to tell what hardware is in this laptop???

I am really frustrated by this ( I have a Dell also, and all you have to do in search by your model number and S/N and it directs you to the EXACT drivers you need) because Acer does not have the same thing as Dell.

I appreciate any help I can get!!

northernmutt
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula - CPU: AMD Phenom II 955be - CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler - Video Card: XFX Radeon 5870 HD587XZNFC - Power Supply: Seasonic M12D 850W - Memory: G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Case: Coolermaster Cosmos "S" - Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - DVD Drives: Samsung SH-223C & Lite-On iHAS124
Old November 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Try this

Speccy - System Information - Free Download

list out all part in system
Old November 29, 2010, 07:47 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Tried it without any success. All the parts just come up with generic names. I am not sure, but I think they must detect drivers, not actual hardware.

I guess I wil just hope that Acer gets back to me (it's already been a week!)

Thanks though.....

northernmutt
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair IV Formula - CPU: AMD Phenom II 955be - CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Cooler - Video Card: XFX Radeon 5870 HD587XZNFC - Power Supply: Seasonic M12D 850W - Memory: G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Case: Coolermaster Cosmos "S" - Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - DVD Drives: Samsung SH-223C & Lite-On iHAS124
Old November 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Umm... why not just Google the model number? The drivers might not be stored under the Acer brand anymore, so they might not be at the Acer website. I know I had to do this with several IBM computers/laptops where the entire lineup was sold off to Lenovo. Acer has the done something similar where they moved lineups between their own branding, the drivers might be on another Acer website.
Old November 29, 2010, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

do you check the device manager?
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Download and install all drivers available? Only the ones that apply will actually install.

Alternatively, if you install Windows 7 instead, I'm fairly sure that the majority of hardware would be detected.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

ilya - Tried that, but there are multiple configs of this laptop.

CTA - of course, but since there are no drivers, they are considered "unknown devices" in device manager

JD - I considered that option, but I am always concerned about driver incompatibility issues. I know that the drivers for the Lan will not affect anything else(mostly!), but I am not so sure that installing 3 different drivers for the Lan from 3 different companies wont cause some kind of problem. At this point, I am kind of desperate, so I will give this one a try.....let you know how it goes.

I am really dissapointed in Acer's customer service (or lack thereof). It has been almost 2 weeks and I have yet to receive a response from them. If this is any indication of the quality of service they offer, I am soooooooooooooooooo glad I only have had Dell up to this point.

I will likely avoid Acer in the future.

Thanks for all you help guys!

Northernmutt
Old December 1, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmutt View Post
ilya - Tried that, but there are multiple configs of this laptop.

CTA - of course, but since there are no drivers, they are considered "unknown devices" in device manager

JD - I considered that option, but I am always concerned about driver incompatibility issues. I know that the drivers for the Lan will not affect anything else(mostly!), but I am not so sure that installing 3 different drivers for the Lan from 3 different companies wont cause some kind of problem. At this point, I am kind of desperate, so I will give this one a try.....let you know how it goes.

I am really dissapointed in Acer's customer service (or lack thereof). It has been almost 2 weeks and I have yet to receive a response from them. If this is any indication of the quality of service they offer, I am soooooooooooooooooo glad I only have had Dell up to this point.

I will likely avoid Acer in the future.

Thanks for all you help guys!

Northernmutt
This should be the vista LAN driver: ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/noteboo...x32.zip:thumb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmutt View Post
I bought a used Acer 5720 laptop with a borked HDD. I replaced the HDD, installed Windows Vista Home Premium and now have a working laptop.....sort of.

I can go to the Acer website, but there are multiple drivers for this laptop. I want to install the correct ones, but I am unsure of what hardware is in this laptop.

Does anyone kow how to tell what hardware is in this laptop???

I am really frustrated by this ( I have a Dell also, and all you have to do in search by your model number and S/N and it directs you to the EXACT drivers you need) because Acer does not have the same thing as Dell.

I appreciate any help I can get!!

northernmutt
Have you or anyone else ever used this?:

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

I used an older version to obtain hardware info.

Now, I mostly use Linux tools to carry out tasks like this. If you want to try that alternative, let me know. But, in the meantime, the url I provided is the only Windows 'way' that I know of. Funny that there's not very many Windoze tools to obtain detailed hardware information. Hmmm..
Old December 1, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're really desperate, there's always 3rd party shareware like Drivermax.

I've used it on occasion to figure out specific chipsets on OEM motherboards, seems to work most of the time. Problem is you get spammed with emails telling you to buy their software and downloads are limited to 2 a day.