Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2010, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Alright guys, it is officially out (for Bell at least). I loaded up Kies a couple mins ago and was prompted that there was a firmware upgrade. Haven't had a chance to fully test it out, but all my apps, music, contacts and texts. Haven't tested out the GPS (though I never tried it before so I wouldn't really have anything to compare) but I hear it locks on faster now.

If you don't see it you may have to wait until tomorrow, that is when it is officially supposed to come out.
Old December 9, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

did you lose all apps and contact while updating?

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 9, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

nope, the only thing I lost was my icon setup on the home pages. But all my apps, contacts and texts were still there.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's synced with your Google account, if you set the settings correctly.

If you want absolutely everything, you can root your phone and use Titanium Backup, but I'm not sure if that'll affect whether or not you'll get the OTA.

CM6.1 stable is released for the SGS though, so you might like to give that a try. A lot faster, without the TouchWiz bullcrap.
Old December 9, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder with the Nexus S, basically a SGS but for Google, having Gingerbread if they will be able to mod it to work on the other SGS models (well assuming Samsung doesn't eventually release 2.3 for the SGS)
Old December 12, 2010, 02:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I wonder with the Nexus S, basically a SGS but for Google, having Gingerbread if they will be able to mod it to work on the other SGS models (well assuming Samsung doesn't eventually release 2.3 for the SGS)
I would bet on it coming to the SGS, just may take a little while to get rolled out, especially in Canada!!! I'm sure there are also ways you could 'manually' update to 2.3
Old December 12, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
I would bet on it coming to the SGS, just may take a little while to get rolled out, especially in Canada!!! I'm sure there are also ways you could 'manually' update to 2.3
Well that was my point about the Nexus S. It is essentially an SGS just Google branded, so as long as it gets released on a carrier that uses the same frequencies as Bell/Rogers/Telus the good people over at XDA should be able to release a ROM for it.

I must say though, I am liking 2.2. I can now easily turn off 3G and save boat loads of battery. I also like that you can easily move the cursor in text boxes. Android market seems snappier as well.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Still no froyo on my HTC Legend but it's good to know that their spreading Android 2.2 to a variety of devices. By the time I get my froyo, I'm sure many devices will already have Gingerbread with Honeycomb on new devices..