Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I read all the posts, I was just giving you my experience and thoughts that I've amassed from owning an iPad since launch and briefly a galaxy tab. Most of what I said was just my personal preferences when it comes to a tablet so I'm not sure how you addressed that before.

I know most people on tech sites hate apple, but I don't see why that means I can't share what I've learned by owning one. What I said can be applied to any generic tablet.

Sounds to me like you should go droid, and use the VNC apps that I mentioned when you want a file from your comp. You know when your going to be needing a file, and it isn't that often. 95% of what you need will already be on your tablet. Windows 7 just doesnt fit that well into a tablet environment, and if your set on W7 then I'd wait for the amd fusion tabs to come out so you'll have some decent power to run windows. Either that or windows 8 with it's ARM CPU support
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Lol... yeah. Now the exact same hardware (or maybe a little faster) + windows 7? I'd pre-order it, lol
Sadly, I believe the bolded comment may be the most likely solution when/if such beasts ever hit the street.

I'd forgotten about this thread when I started commenting on the state of tablets in here yesterday.... (LG Intros Optimus Pad Tablet).

Pretty well said it all in there. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 16, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah the battery life is what killed that one for me. 3 Hours? Cmon...
What is strange is earlier slides I saw about it said 10 hours of battery. So not sure what happened from then till now.

Old February 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the Lenovo sounds great so far.

I cant wait to see some reviews on the product.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting tablet that came up on the news feed today: Playstation Tab, aka S1

Runs a custom UI of honeycomb, not many details other then that
Old February 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default Sony YB Series Fusion notebook Impressions

... in short: don't like it. Found a demo of a YB from Sony at Futureshop tonight and Im really not impressed. It doesn't feel very solid and the keyboard is downright Crap. The right shift key is absolutely tiny and difficult to use with ease. Besides that, the mouse buttons for the touchpad feel horrible and have that old-cheap-plastic feel to them. I can't say i could recommend this one at all to anyone.... No thanks you.

It was sitting next to an Alienware M11x.... now There's a nice small keyboard with some good gaming performance... if the price came down a little more it would be tempting, although i have no idea what the battery life on one of those would be. The Alienware DOES feel solid though, which i really like, and i can type on it almost full speed without any issues. Still though, not quite what i was looking for, but still worth considering if the price drops some.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:28 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
It was sitting next to an Alienware M11x.... now There's a nice small keyboard with some good gaming performance... if the price came down a little more it would be tempting, although i have no idea what the battery life on one of those would be. The Alienware DOES feel solid though, which i really like, and i can type on it almost full speed without any issues. Still though, not quite what i was looking for, but still worth considering if the price drops some.
Apparently the battery is decent, around 7 hours on the IGPU, if you use the real GPU it drops to about 3 hours

Last edited by SneakySnake; February 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'm still drooling over and Lenovo x120e... However, there's one point that keeps coming up about this option thats putting me off a little : The fan. The fan is supposedly always working fairly hard and makes some noise...

Wait. A fan? Why is there even a fan? Can't someone make a passive Fusion-based notebook yet? The HTPC chip-on-board motherboards that have come out with Fusion E-350 have passive variants... so where's my passive notebook? I wouldn't care if the notebook was 0.5 lbs heavier and be passive.

So, where are the passive Fusion notebooks??? A piece of aluminum with fins on the back or whatever!