Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2011, 08:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

might be a little big but the ciara vibe(exo pc) looks great because its got 1366x 768 res

Vibe By CIARA

personally i was going to purcahse a 500$ tab like the asus eee to play older RTS and rpgs on but then i realized that nothing is going to run at 1024 by 600(i dont think) because of the oddball net book res. I'll probably wait for something like this ciara to get in my price range
Old January 25, 2011, 02:48 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

The exo/viara/vibe/whatever IS a little on the big side. If i want to get a tablet it has best be under 9inches or so, bigger doesnt mean better in this case.

Then again, im hoping some Zacate goodness comes out soon that i can play with... Maybe in a form factor like this?
New Acer Aspire One A0721 11.6? AMD netbook up for pre-order | AspireOneUser.com - Acer Aspire One User Resource Forum & Blog

Gimme some APUs and great battery life in a thin netbook like that and ill give up my tablet ideas, lol.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:24 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Motorola Xoom.
Had a chance to see it up close and personal at CES, and despite Motorola's recent shortcomings in the mobile market, it feels like a very solid device, a far cry from their typical phone products. Also, from the canned demo of Honeycomb, it looks pretty zippy. Tegra 2 based, HDMI, 1080p support, also removable storage which is awesome.

The only issue I forsee with ANY new tablet, be it based on webOS, Android or Windows 7, will be the initial lack of programs/apps. Apple has spent years build up an enormous network and structure for apps, and the iPad as had enough lead time that it will likely always be the go-to device for developers to create apps for.

For the most common things, cross development won't be a problem, especially if Google makes Honeycomb development identical to Android for the phones. But I expect for the small private ventures, apps will target Apple devices first, and android later.
Old January 25, 2011, 03:51 PM
Allstar

Definitively the Vibe, it has a SD card reader, useful to view and back up the pics of my camera in travel.
Old January 25, 2011, 08:43 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thanks for the idea guys, but bigger than 9'' is just too damn big for a tablet (didnt i just say that?). I have wrist problems and holding up a big heavy bastard like that wont help matters.

If it HAS to be bigger than 9'', then it better be a netbook, convertible tablet or similar that can rest on my lap or a desk and still be used comfortably.

I think my opinions on this matter are shared by many... just waiting for that "perfect" product to come out....
Old January 25, 2011, 10:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

certainly not much under 8.9 considering the archos 9 is thicker and probably just as big as the exco pc.

only other thing i can think of is the nav 9 which is as big as the archos or if you wanted open the wallet a bit (1000)the toshiba libretto seems quite nice. Toshiba Canada - mobile computing - libretto
Old February 15, 2011, 06:19 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Whoa! Just thought of something!

The Lenovo x120e is coming out on the 8th, which looks like a great option for more of a netbook for me. However, it is from Lenovo's "X" series which also has some Tablet variants!

Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping oh-so-much that Lenovo makes an X120E tablet (with digitizer and pen input even? That would be extra awesome! But at least multitouch I hope). Could be the perfect option I've been looking for...

Fingers seriously crossed....
Old February 15, 2011, 10:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well Honeycomb, iPad 2, and the Playbook are all around the corner so definitely wait for them. The Xoom looks downright gorgeous in terms of specs but the price is a bit ridiculous (apparently $800+, plus you are forced to get a data plan, even if your only gonna be using wifi).

Personally, I would recommend against a windows 7 tablet. Their battery life doesn't nearly compare to something like the ipad or I'm assuming the upcoming droid tablets. Also in terms of size I don't think you want to go much smaller then 10", my iPad is around the same size (ish) as a 8.5x11 sheet of paper and something about that just feels right when your consuming media. Also, there are loads of VNC apps out there that make needing a full OS on your tablet obsolete. A 10" tablet is very portable, and I don't see the point in the 7" tablets, because they aren't going to fit in a pocket either. I will never buy a laptop again after using my iPad, because I've gotten so use to the thin size, and extreme portability (it's light enough that you won't notice it in a backpack or bag) and 10 hour battery that it makes laptops seem like as much of a hassle as taking my desktop to a LAN

I have three different VNC apps on my iPad, and they all have strengths, but they all allow me to access my PC from anywhere in world, assuming its on, and essentially turn my iPad into a W7 tablet when I need it to be one. When I'm in the home lounging on the couch I use Splashtop Remote Desktop to watch flash and divx files from the web. Their app is mostly meant for in home use, when your iPad is on the same LAN as your PC. It's quite fast, I've even played games of Civ V on my iPad for 8 hours straight without needing to look for a plug (couldn't sleep that night).

Also, whichever tablet you buy, get 3G, I didn't on my iPad and I want it badly. Because it's so portable, its going to be with you a lot more then a laptop would be, and as such 3G data is pretty much essential. They got pretty reasonable rates, i'll be getting the 5 GB/$35 plan from either bell or rogers when I get my new ipad

I'm going to be upgrading to an iPad 2 immediately when they come out. The reason I am staying with the iPad is because so much of it is crossplatform with my iPhone, and I've invested enough into high end apps, that changing tablets would be a silly thing to do.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

You don't know me very well, so i'll just be brief and say : No apple products, ever.

And like I've already explained, I have hand problems and being forced to hold "up" a 10-inch or larger tablet would cause me pain - which is also a no-go. A convertible laptop/tablet that can sit on my lap or something smaller/lighter is absolutely required.

If I don't use a full OS, i might as well just use my Android smartphone to do the exact same thing that your iPad does... but at the cost of leaving a PC running All Day Long at home? No, thank you. That doesn't sound very green to me, lol. I never use more power at one time than I absolutely need... I.E. I won't turn on a main rig/gamer pc to check Facebook - thats just overkill and silly.

Just please read all the posts in the thread next time before replying, as I've already answered/addressed most (if not all) that I've stated above
Old February 16, 2011, 04:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Subscribed

The wife wants to make the move from her lappy to something similar, though +10" would be fine depending on the bulk.

She is interested in the iPad, I want it to run 7 for the simplicity of integrating into the home network.

Plus the last Apple I used was a Apple II.

Keep the ideas coming for Meta, definitely has given me some interesting options.

Sorry for the thread Hi-jack CM, back to your thread. Just wanted to subscribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton