Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Asus U30J A1 RMA Experience

So my wifes 3 month old Notebook has a vertical yellow pin stripe line running through the LDC monitor....huh....
1. Tried Cold Reboot still thier
2. Noticed its even thier when booting into the BIOS
3. google it and found many Posts with Notebook users and this problem...seems its either:

1. GPU (can be confirmed by hooking Notebook up to an external monitor). btw didn't take the time to try this, as its going to require RMA whether its the monitor or GPU.

2. LCD monitor

3. Interface cable between the monitor and display (only way to check this is to take out the keyboard)...

So decided I would test ASUS "wonderful" looking (on paper) RMA / Customer Support service.

Phone call immediately put me in touch with some cat in Jamaica...advised me he wanted me to try and install the latest nvidia Driver...( I lied and told him I already did that, knowing that if the line is thier in the BIOS its very unlikely a Software problem).

He immediately emailed be the RMA # with instructions of which I recieved a few minutes after hanging up.

So...call went in yesterday AM, around 900 AM PDST....must be shipped to ASUS in Markham.

This morning around 1000 AM Fedex was at my door to pick up the parcel (shipping pick-up arranged by ASUS).

All good so far, excellent service, the biggest pita was finding the right box to put it in ...and the wife gives me shvt for keeping my DC/NCIX shipping boxes

I'll keep you all posted how this goes...

btw...after I got off of the phone with the support guy I followed through with a clean install of 258.96...didn't make any difference....

Old October 5, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am interested in hearing how this goes. Since I have that same notebook it will be nice to know how things work in case I have any issues.

Old October 5, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Surprised me but oh well....it really is a nice small practical Notebook...I'll keep you posted...my wife is hoping to have it back within 2 weeks..we'll see ;)

Old October 9, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Day 4 for my wife without her Notebook....she's losing it ;) (Borrowing mine)....