Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 01:04 AM
MVP
F@H

Default The thing that you put where the DVD drive goes

Apologies for the lousy topic title. I couldn't think of a better one.

I have an ASUS UL80 and I want to remove the DVD drive. That part is easy. The hard part is finding a little plastic thing to put in there so crap doesn't get in the drive slot. I know some laptops come with them.

The problem is I can't seem to find one online, and I can't really think of what it would be called.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :-)
Old September 30, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to take a wild guess that you installed a drive in the bay using an adapter? Short of buying a used slim drive, stripping it apart and remove the dvd drive guts and reusing the old bay cover I can't think of any way. A better option would be to pick up a hard drive caddy from ebay for $30 and install a drive that way. The Lenovo slim caddies work as far as I know. The opening will be covered but I'm not sure if you can attach the old dvd drive faceplate back on

If you aren't actually putting in a second drive...I have no idea sorry.

Old September 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm going to take a wild guess that you installed a drive in the bay using an adapter? Short of buying a used slim drive, stripping it apart and remove the dvd drive guts and reusing the old bay cover I can't think of any way. A better option would be to pick up a hard drive caddy from ebay for $30 and install a drive that way. The Lenovo slim caddies work as far as I know. The opening will be covered but I'm not sure if you can attach the old dvd drive faceplate back on

If you aren't actually putting in a second drive...I have no idea sorry.

Yeah I don't really need to add a second drive, I just want to remove weight. I recall that some older laptops used to come with a placeholder. I might just pickup a caddy because it would be lighter than the DVD drive.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wasn't aware DVD drives weighed that much O.o
Old September 30, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thats a really stupid idea just to save some weight, the dvd drive doesnt weight that much, if anything I'd take a guess and say the hard drive weighs about the same, get an ssd and strip off the casing if you really care about the weight and while your at it, just remove the steel reinforcements underneath your keyboard, they're hardly needed, take out the reinforcement plate for the dvd drive -.-. Seriously, you wont notice the weight you save. I got the UL50VT cracked out on my desk at the moment and in no way does the dvd drive make up a significant portion of the weight of the laptop in total.

Old September 30, 2010, 09:11 PM
MVP
F@H

Well thanks for the help everyone.