Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2010, 04:21 PM
Rookie

Question safe to buy g73jh??

im looking for a high performance laptop for games and schooling.

i was looking at the g73jh but omg iv never seen an item with so many problems i need a laptop that is 100% reliable 100% of the time.

so is it safe to buy a g73jh yet??

if not how is the toshiba x500 i know its slightly worse at gaming do to the gtx 360 compaired to the asus 5870 mobile but i think thats the only difference i know the procesor is a tad faster though.

if neither of those is worth it what computer would be 1700 dollar limit
Old September 20, 2010, 05:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue woopa View Post
im looking for a high performance laptop for games and schooling.

i was looking at the g73jh but omg iv never seen an item with so many problems i need a laptop that is 100% reliable 100% of the time.

so is it safe to buy a g73jh yet??

if not how is the toshiba x500 i know its slightly worse at gaming do to the gtx 360 compaired to the asus 5870 mobile but i think thats the only difference i know the procesor is a tad faster though.

if neither of those is worth it what computer would be 1700 dollar limit
It's mostly safe. I have one and it runs like a tank. This is the REPLACEMENT one though, since the original had GSOD's up to kazoo. ASUS has also released a new vbios and patch to "fix" most of the GSOD problems as well as the keyboard backlight issues. I put the quotes in there because it's not a 100% fix. People with truly defective GPU's are still SOL of course.

As far as performance goes, it's one of the best bang for the buck gaming laptops out there and the 1080p (apparently) has one of the best screens on a laptop ever. It's never gets hot on the keyboard area and it's dead silent as well. My only real beef (aside from the GSOD BS) is the touchpad. I don't like it, it's humongous and I think it's make for Shrek's fingers. Aside from that, game on

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old September 21, 2010, 10:49 AM
Rookie

so hows that work

i go up to best buy and pick it up and its got problems what do i do go onto auses websight and download the new bios and drivers and whatnot and hope it works?? and if not bring it back to best buy for a new one??

its also going to be a school laptop do you think its reliable enough?? battery dosnt mater.
my other choices where hp dv8 and toshiba x500

its not going to be a 100% gamer but the more it can play the more i will play its more for inbetween classes gamer the rest is homework and movies.
Old September 21, 2010, 11:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue woopa View Post
so hows that work

i go up to best buy and pick it up and its got problems what do i do go onto auses websight and download the new bios and drivers and whatnot and hope it works?? and if not bring it back to best buy for a new one??

its also going to be a school laptop do you think its reliable enough?? battery dosnt mater.
my other choices where hp dv8 and toshiba x500

its not going to be a 100% gamer but the more it can play the more i will play its more for inbetween classes gamer the rest is homework and movies.
If it's going to be a school laptop, you might want to consider the G53 instead. The G73 is HUGE and lugging it around school might be a pain. The G53 is exactly like the G73 on a smaller 15' screen.

I don't have experience with the Bestbuy version of the G73. I have the 1080p version which bestbuy doesn't sell. Bestbuy only sells the lower resolution one 1600x900 or basically a neutered version of the G73. The only advantage with Bestbuy is the ease of returning it when you don't like it or if it has defects (as compared to most online retailers).

If you don't really plan on "heavy" gaming, you really should consider other options. The battery on these notebooks don't last very long as well, 2 hours tops and only if you're very mindful of your battery usage.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches