Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
F@H

look at thinkpads, but i think they may share the 'flaw'. not a big fan myself, but if the rest is good? why not
Old September 15, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest the Asus U35JC: http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=55...nufacture=ASUS

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks - ASUS U35Jc

But of course it has that one fatal flaw, the glossy screen. I have the U30JC and it is almost he same machine and from my understanding has the same screen. I will say that it would be much better if it was not glossy, I mean I don't need a mirror.

Anyways here are a couple reviews for the U35JC.
Asus U35JC review | Expert Reviews

ASUS U35Jc Notebook Review | Blog - ScreenAid.com

I just don't know if you can even find a decent notebook without the glossy screen anymore.

Old September 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... having spoken to SKYMTL on the subject in the past, I think you folks are missing his main complaint of all of them.... He might give a bit on the other features, but I think the non-glossy thing is the key..... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 15, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... having spoken to SKYMTL on the subject in the past, I think you folks are missing his main complaint of all of them.... He might give a bit on the other features, but I think the non-glossy thing is the key..... ;)
Then I'd say go with one of the cheaper Panasonic Tuffbooks, they're either glossy or matte screens but they use a similar anti reflection technology found on their plasma TVs. Do note that their cheaper models are typically heavier with the same specs as the higher end models.
Old September 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know that he wants one without the glossy screen but man is it ever hard. I thought I found one, the Asus PL30JT, but it looks like it is coming with a glossy screen even though most of what I read said it was supposed to have a matte screen.

But since that looks like a bust, I would have to say start looking towards the Dell's. Even though finding the right one with a newer i3 or i5 chip and non glossy screen and decent build quality will be hard.

Problem with the toughbooks is the cost, way to much for what you get.

Old September 15, 2010, 05:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Here are my concerns:

#1: Glossy screen / screen size

#2: Weight

#3: Battery life

#4: Price

#5: All the rest

ASUS just announced a range of new business notebooks last month but they come with a three cell battery which they CLAIM will last for 4 hours. Emphasis on CLAIM: Asus Announces New B Series Notebook Design with Business Focus | Hardware Canucks
Old September 15, 2010, 06:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup. Here it is.....this may be the one. B43F: Take Flight With ASUS B Series Notebooks
Old September 15, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, if they are only claiming 3 hours then it most certainly not long enough. Really if only they would make the u35jc with a matte screen. I just don't see the huge appeal for the high gloss screens. Right now I'm in a lower lit room and I still see reflections in my notebook, and it has something that is mostly white on the screen. Don't get me wrong it is still a good notebook, but it would be so much better if it was a matte screen, or at least not quite as high gloss.

Old September 15, 2010, 09:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

HP Probook. It will push your budget by a couple hundred bucks tho.
Old September 15, 2010, 09:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

how is it hard, I just posted one up there which meets all his expectations? :O Except of the 64bit OS, but drivers are available on the support page for all kind of OS'

Edit: nvm, didn't see that you're avoiding acer ^^