Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2010, 10:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need a Smartphone

Alright, as my work term is winding down at RIM, i am going to be needing my own cell phone (previous one i owned was several years old and on a pay per minute plan). This means i am looking to potentially buy a smartphone on September 7th 2010 (its when i'll be in NB).

I am currently on the fence if i want to get the Torch if it comes out as it does Blackberries dont seem to have any form of IRC client/usability in it.

What i am looking for is a touch screen smartphone. Open to any service provider for best phone and student plan

I am open to whatever is the best but i'd like it to have IRC capabilities as well as a fair amount of range of apps, good battery, good touch screen, good reception/antenna, etc.

UPDATED!!

Last edited by Arinoth; September 1, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:38 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The Galaxy S would be my choice out of the phones that Bell is offering right now.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HTC Mobile Phones - Legend Bell - Overview
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The HTC Legend is discontinue now.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i'm looking for a new to newerish phone, don't want 'last year's model'
Old August 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I heard a rumour that the Torch isn't going to be running OS6 in Canada. I have no idea if this is true or not, (you would likely know better than I) but if so it eliminates half the draw of having the new BB. However, if it will be available with OS6, I'm seriously considering selling my iPhone and getting one. I miss a tactile keyboard like you can't imagine. I still wish Palm had smartened up and released a SIM card version of the Pre in NA... Outside of that HUGE shortcoming I still think it's amongst the best smart phones to date.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Believe me the Torch should be running OS6 in Canada mainly in part i've used the Torching running OS6 in Canada. My gripe is its shortcomings, lack of irc client at all, OS6 requires more ram to use the browser (aka older models if upgraded to it even the bold 9700 will have the web browser run/load slower). OS6 isn't really as great of a thing once you've had to use it for a bit, sure the interface feels like it runs faster but some things like the web browser or limited apps is why im thinking of shying away from it. All of you whom are using OS5 devices, i'd recommend when its available to upgrade to the newest update to OS5 (faster browser) and stay away from OS6
Old August 22, 2010, 12:56 PM
Rookie

look at the Samsung Galaxy s
Old August 22, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Believe me the Torch should be running OS6 in Canada mainly in part i've used the Torching running OS6 in Canada. My gripe is its shortcomings, lack of irc client at all, OS6 requires more ram to use the browser (aka older models if upgraded to it even the bold 9700 will have the web browser run/load slower). OS6 isn't really as great of a thing once you've had to use it for a bit, sure the interface feels like it runs faster but some things like the web browser or limited apps is why im thinking of shying away from it. All of you whom are using OS5 devices, i'd recommend when its available to upgrade to the newest update to OS5 (faster browser) and stay away from OS6
Hrmmm... that's interesting to hear. Now I'll have to rethink my cell phone options. Although there will be a plethora of new phones by the time I upgrade I think.

My suggestion is to stay away from the iPhone, although for your uses you probably aren't really considering it anyway. Sure it has a billion and one apps available for it and a lot of useful features and support; but Apple's dominating DRM mentality has already caused me no end of grief over my short ownership. (My primary PC is constantly being upgraded, which is something iTunes and the App Store do NOT deal with well at all.)

My suggestion based off a combination of online research, user reviews and endless time spent at GSMArena, would be the Galaxy S. It looks to have all the features your after (including IRC support), and while the Android Market isn't nearly as expansive as the App Store; it's a hell of a lot better than almost any other offering.
Old August 22, 2010, 01:24 PM
Rookie

htc desire and samsung galaxy s are very good and available. The nexus one is badass, as is the HD2 (after flashing with android) but not readily available here. Those or get an iphone if you're the trendy hipster type.