Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, what is it you like about the iPhone 3GS?
Old August 23, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
What sync problems are your referring to? Having to install iTunes and Quicktime is annoying, but I haven't had any sync issues though, on a laptop or desktop. But it's proprietary software, nonetheless.
The fact that your phone is semi-locked to the copy of iTunes you register it with.

An example: My laptop was my 'sync' copy to my phone. When it died, if I had of hooked my phone up and let iTunes register the phone to my desktop, the first thing it does is wipe your playlists, songs and apps off the device. You still own all the songs and apps on iTunes, but the device is purged and must be re-filled with songs, recreate playlists, and recopy apps over.

Its annoying at best, but matters little as long as you dont reformat or remove iTunes from your PC.

Quote:
Jailbreaking offers options to bypass the use of iTunes, though.
This is true, and actually I think you can get around iTunes even without Jailbreaking.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 23, 2010, 10:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yes, what is it you like about the iPhone 3GS?
- Sturdiness.

- Great battery life; I have read that most Android devices have worse battery life, and on a certain level, this might be true (due to Android devices' different camera hardware and bigger screens, for example).

- iOS is a very polished OS, and runs nicely on a 3GS. The 3GS also has been included in all of the latest OS upgrades - on the other hand, some Android devices have been cursed by having no upgrade paths.

- the App store (official) and the available apps (Apple approved): there are a lot very polished apps for the iPhone out there. The Android market will catch up, very fast, considering the exponential rise of Android's market share, but I know for a fact some Android users are still left out (for example, SquareSpace users, like me, are SOL when it comes to having an Android app).

- the unofficial App store (Cydia, Rock) and other apps: for me, that's where Apple products close the gap between their root and other "open" systems. A jailbroken phone becomes a mini Debian system, that is not so different from Android.

I think Apple users (with jailbroken devices) get the best of both worlds - Apple approved apps (built with strict rules and development tools) and community apps.

But I have to admit I am heavily biased

Old August 23, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

The iPhone 3gs, does what you want it to do.. it's a pretty descent smartphone really, and off course has one of the best touch screens out there. But if I had the option I would get the Galaxy, it's a never phone, one of the (if not) the best in the market right now, it's a beast, has a lot of functionality.

Now my sister has an iphone 3gs, I personally haven't used it much really.. I don't have a Galaxy so I don't speak from experience, I'm just saying what I've heard so far, my friend is crazy on cell phones, he changes cell phones ever so often really, he actually managed to get one of those Galaxy phones, and he was quite impressed with it too.

Like I said no experience I have with both phones, I shouldn't be even writing but.. hey.. Arinoth, the iPhone does what you want.. really, but if the Galaxy isn't too much more expensive and you know you can afford it, not forcing yourself to get it, then just get the Galaxy really.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

I was reading the battery life comments on GSM Arena, after they reviewed the Galaxy S...

The fancier screen and faster processor might come at a price.

Old August 23, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I was reading the battery life comments on GSM Arena, after they reviewed the Galaxy S...

The fancier screen and faster processor might come at a price.
84 hours over 3G is very good, I wish my Palm Pre could do that.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapmaster View Post
84 hours over 3G is very good, I wish my Palm Pre could do that.
Read the comments - not the review.

Old August 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmmm, I don't think that's normal, maybe people left unused apps open and set push email which use a lot of battery. Also, not everyone in the comments seem to have bad battery life.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Back and forth this still goes, i'm torn between the two
Old August 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Back and forth this still goes, i'm torn between the two
Go check out the Galaxy S at a store, see if you like it first. IMO, just the Super amoled is worth it.