Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixsaint View Post
htc desire and samsung galaxy s are very good and available. The nexus one is badass, as is the HD2 (after flashing with android) but not readily available here. Those or get an iphone if you're the trendy hipster type.
The Nexus One is discontinued (Google seriously dropped the ball on that one) and the HD2 has to be purchased for cash in the US and shipped here, so not very cost-effective. As for the iPhone, IRC clients available are gimmicky at best... if you can even get one of the VERY limited free options to work. And from what I've read on the pay IRC apps, they are no better.

I'd still lean towards the Galaxy S, or wait for the new Desire to be released.
Old August 23, 2010, 06:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

When is the new Desire suppose to come out, i bet later then 2 weeks eh?

Edit: Looks like only Telus will be having the Desire
Old August 23, 2010, 06:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Well, if you want to stick with Bell, want the latest and greatest without any flaws, that leaves all but one option: Samsung Galaxy S.

On the other hand, I have seen 2 brand new iPhone 3GS 32gb in the "For Sale" section of the forum...
With the jailbreak and unlock, and the fact that the 3GS is very decent for its age, it could be a solution to close the gap between now and the arrival of the next batches of smartphones.

My .02!

Old August 23, 2010, 08:49 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Well, if you want to stick with Bell, want the latest and greatest without any flaws, that leaves all but one option: Samsung Galaxy S.

On the other hand, I have seen 2 brand new iPhone 3GS 32gb in the "For Sale" section of the forum...
With the jailbreak and unlock, and the fact that the 3GS is very decent for its age, it could be a solution to close the gap between now and the arrival of the next batches of smartphones.

My .02!
This has been the scenario I have been considering (never made a thread due to all the 'smartphone' threads, but I am eligible for an upgrade, sticking with Bell like Arinoth).

The 3GS 16GB can be found for a decent price too. I have seen some reviews saying the Galaxy S lags a bit, but I am not sure if its a legit complaint. Other than LED flash, a nicer screen, the iPhone 4 does not seem to offer anything crazy over the 3GS. I also like all the gadgets and such that are easily available for the iPhone, if that means anything to you.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know, i'd like to try to get something brand brand new rather then partial/somewhat used or even has been out on the market for a while.

I could toy with the idea of the iPhone though i dont want some of the hassles some people have stated having with the iphone and synching with their computers and the iphone 4 worth it, or is the iphone 3gs really the pick of the litter with the galaxy S tied with it at the top?
Old August 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Galaxy S is much better than the 3GS, higher resolution, bigger screen, faster processor, Super amoled, etc.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

Is the iPhone 4 worth it over a 3GS? For me personally, no. I can do without the front facing camera, better backside camera and smaller design. Better battery life and better screen is a plus, but definitely not worth me changing phones.

What sync problems are your referring to? Having to install iTunes and Quicktime is annoying, but I haven't had any sync issues though, on a laptop or desktop. But it's proprietary software, nonetheless.

Jailbreaking offers options to bypass the use of iTunes, though.

If you have any specific questions on the iPhone 3GS and service with Bell, feel free to ask, via the thread or even by PM.

Old August 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What is you like about the iPhone 3GS that you cant get with say the Galaxy?
Old August 23, 2010, 10:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Or get the iPhone 4 and sell it. All you need (if you really want to stick to bell) is get an unlocked phone. Still cheaper to get the iPhone, flipt it and get a phone you really want.

Never tried the palm pre but i do agree palm effed that up when they didnt offer a gsm version of the pre earlier.

As well, i still dont uderstand why HTC havent release a gsm version of the EVO.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
What is you like about the iPhone 3GS that you cant get with say the Galaxy?
Honestly, that's something you are going to have to discover for yourself since I don't have access to a Galaxy

I wish I could try an Android device though - I should drag my *ss down to a Bell store, try to negotiate a better data plan and play with a Galaxy (or any other Android based device) while I'm there.

In the meantime though, I can answer all of your questions pertaining to the iPhone 3GS only