Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2010, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well it's up for sale now at $79.99 on 3yr term and $449.99 contract-free. So exactly what the rumoured prices were.

One question though, since it doesn't come with Call Display by default, does the number still show? I don't really care if the name doesn't come up.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So... did you get your Desire?
Old August 9, 2010, 12:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick thread update!

I'm not the OP but I did pickup a Desire today in store! I've barely used it as i'm at school currently (damn summer courses) but I already love it! The Snapdragon processor makes everything you do seamless and quick. No lag at all! The optical track pad is actually pretty sweet but you don't really use it often. Texting is a breeze as well! I haven't checked out the android market place yet but I will once i'm home.

I would also like to note that I did not go with a data plan. I got a sweet voice plan from retentions so i'm okay with it. The phone has WIFI so I can still download stuff and whatever. Anyways, I recommend the phone to anyone considering it! I'll probably post another update after a few days of usage.
Old August 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
So... did you get your Desire?
Not yet...still on the fence...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Quick thread update!

I'm not the OP but I did pickup a Desire today in store! I've barely used it as i'm at school currently (damn summer courses) but I already love it! The Snapdragon processor makes everything you do seamless and quick. No lag at all! The optical track pad is actually pretty sweet but you don't really use it often. Texting is a breeze as well! I haven't checked out the android market place yet but I will once i'm home.

I would also like to note that I did not go with a data plan. I got a sweet voice plan from retentions so i'm okay with it. The phone has WIFI so I can still download stuff and whatever. Anyways, I recommend the phone to anyone considering it! I'll probably post another update after a few days of usage.
Sounds awesome. Let me know how you like it. Since you have it, is there a way to keep all that Facebook/Twitter shit disabled? I refuse to become part of that stuff so I don't want it constantly running on my phone.
Old August 9, 2010, 01:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Conveniently, you can customize all of your home pages and what is displayed. None of the social networking crap is "enabled" by default. You have the option of setting your accounts and stuff up if you so wish. Also, if you choose to not go with a data plan like me, there is an option is the settings to disable any carrier internet traffic ie: so you don't accidentally use any data and pay for it. I haven't had a chance to use the WIFI yet but i'm kind of excited to. The browser looks extremely promising!
Old August 9, 2010, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Conveniently, you can customize all of your home pages and what is displayed. None of the social networking crap is "enabled" by default. You have the option of setting your accounts and stuff up if you so wish. Also, if you choose to not go with a data plan like me, there is an option is the settings to disable any carrier internet traffic ie: so you don't accidentally use any data and pay for it. I haven't had a chance to use the WIFI yet but i'm kind of excited to. The browser looks extremely promising!
Good to hear. I'll most likely get a data plan though, but mainly for IM'ing and browsing the web during the commute to/from school/work. Need something to keep me busy on the slow ass TTC.

And your school doesn't have WiFi?
Old August 9, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post

One question though, since it doesn't come with Call Display by default, does the number still show? I don't really care if the name doesn't come up.
It will come up as unknown number.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old September 30, 2010, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm so the Desire is back in-stock (limited though) but do I bother at this point? The new Desire HD and Z are coming out next month? Maybe hit here at Christmas/New Year?
Old October 24, 2010, 04:01 PM
Trial Member

Default HTC Desire on Telus GRRRRRRRR, my Desire now on Sasktel?

I waited and waited for the HTC Desire to come to Telus as out contract was just coming to an end... finally. Here in Canada the cell phone providers give the discounts on phones when you sign up for a 3 year contract. So 3 years ago we got a couple of LG Shines and they were awesome... well for non smart phones. though now they are ancient.
What we really wanted was Smart Phones for this next 3 year contract... Yes we fell for it again, but being that there is no reasonable competition here in Saskatchewan there is really no choice, and Sasktel lost my business a long time ago. (another long story, though I did look to see if they were worth going to this time around) Anyways we decided to stick with Telus.

Choosing a Carrier....
It seams that most of the time if you are changing carriers you are able to get a much better deal on your contract plans for smartphones then if you stick with the carrier that you are on. We have had Telus for the past 3 years and because we are existing customers and we did not qualify for the free 5Gb of extra data for plans over $65 (giving us 6Gb if needed) What we ended up settling with was the Student 55 plan which is a fairly good deal but only gives us 1Gb of data... because it does give us unlimited messages and 10 favorite numbers oh ya and 200 local minutes (yes 200, no i did not forget a zero for any american readers where 2000 min is where cell phone plans start) not that that really matters to me because I would prefer to text or e-mail people anyway.

HTC Desire - After 3 weeks

I used to just have my LG keybo which I used for calling and texting, and whenever I had Wi fi I would use my iPod touch to do everything I wanted to do with a smart pocket device.

Now I get to Toss my Keybo and iPod Touch? not quite....
The apps from apple are amazing, for example I could do my work stuff using Documents, keep track of the Universe using Planets, take notes with Awsome note and best of all listen to podcasts easily with iTunes. So far I have found a Spread sheet program called Sheed spreet but still no note program as advanced as Awsome note. Google Sky is similar but does not give the same Sunrise times or planet info easily like Planets, so I still am missing that. But the biggest loss so far is iTunes as much as I hated the U.I. of iTunes once I got my podcast's subscribed to it just worked. Maybe I'm just still in the learning curve but I have tried out google Listen and cant seem to add my podcasts, and Double Twist which looks like it may work eventually. but i stopped playing with it when I figured out that the majority of the podcasts I listen to are from TWIT.TV which has their own app, so I can just click and listen to the show I want, even when I don't have Wi-Fi.

The Good apps
Google Maps with navigation
Barcode Scanner
Google Sky Map
Gdocs (now good because you now can create new documents though still hoping for google spreadsheet)
CardioTrainer (10 times better than Nike for iPod)

The bad phone OS (rant)
Low Disk Space Android 2.1 WTF I have not put that many apps on my phone and it is full and even locks me out of my text messages until I delete an app or two. Still waiting to see if 2.2 fixes this problem when Telus releases it, though I have the slight feeling that there will still be apps that have to be installed on the phone and with the HTC Sense stuff and any Telus Bloat-ware the phones memory may be low still. could they not afford to make the phones internal memory say 8Gb or 16Gb and leave the RAM alone... I thought the 512Mb of RAM was a selling feature, not the phones place to install apps and Bloated Operating System with HTC and Telus crap using this valuable little space. I got an Idea lets build a Laptop with 2Gb ram and then try to install the Sims... no not on the hard drive, lets put it on the Ram along with the Operating system, seriously what is the point of having apps if you don't have space for them.

Speech to text - um... hmm where is it... it better be in 2.2 I'm guessing it was too big and they had to ax it out so they could fit the HTC and Telus Scenes (which has also has chrashed - Google "HTC Launcher has Failed" and you'll see the hell I got to go through with that.)

Data Plans:
Back to the idea of Telus offering 6Gb plans to NEW customers who sign up for a 3 year contract and leaving no large data plans for existing customers..... Well I just got off the phone with a Telus representative and he made it very clear to me that as a person who uses a "lot" of data... (more than a 1Gb so far in 3 weeks ,1.54Gb so far to be exact. I am out of luck unless I want to add 1 more GB for another $30 bringing my monthly bill to over $100. where as the data I did use involved a lot of reinstalling apps that I wanted after I deleted them to make room, as well as using the built in navigation which is downloading maps over and over again as I drive around. He asked me about media like watching youtube or subscription music, and I told him I did that a lot as well, though I have WiFi at home and at work and that is where I did my media consuming the most.

Recommendation
So over all, as I"m still on 2.1, I would have to say that being that I think I will be Hacking my phone to make it work right, for most people I would have to recommend getting the iPhone 4 instead on a carrier that has large or unlimited data plans that are reasonably Priced. If iPads can have a 50$ 5Gb plan why cant phones? I was also looking up different plans for comparison and figured out that thru sasktel I can get an unlimeted data plan for $65 a month, so It actually would pay for me to buy out my full 3 year contract for $400 and just switch over. I guess Sasktel will get my business back.....
Old November 3, 2010, 11:02 AM
Rookie

I'll chime in since I just signed a 3-year contract for it.

I absolutely love the phone. The ALCD screen is amazing, it's so incredibly sharp and clear I can't believe I'm looking at a phone! It feels like a tablet without being oversized (it's perfect for one-handed use or two). I immediately rooted it (one-click painless process, aside from the PITA of getting the Windows ADB driver working ;)) and put a CM6 ROM on it, and it's blazing fast.

As for Telus, I was with them before the 3G changed and hated it, but it was more a hate for the shitty CDMA network and corresponding shitty phone. I've dealt with their customer service, and prefer them to Rogers who I just left (never have or will use Bell). Also, the network speed is great. 2500/300 isn't that bad for a phone!
* 8GB Corsair DDR3-1333
* Western Digital Black 750GB
* Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

http://www.boniface.me