Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 07:29 AM
Rookie

Default New to Canada where to start

Hi everyone,
just moved to Canada from the UK and starting to learn what options there are for shopping to buy computers and components. Found newegg.ca futureshop.ca and canadacomputers.com. if anyone can recommend any other i would be grateful to hear them, or shops around the Hamilton, ON area that are worth a visit

Anyway back to my main question, until my desktop gets shipped over - 2 months or so i'm looking to get a desktop replacement laptop. I'm on a tight budget of about CAD$1000 to just over if its a really worthwhile, looking to be able to do programming/image editing/gaming. I'm currently doing alpha testing for a high requirement MMO so being able to do that again would be awesome. If anyone has any benchmark scores for FINAL FANTASY XIV Official Benchmark i would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks so much in advance

Lovian
Old June 30, 2010, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well let me be the first to welcome you to canada. Not to scare you or anything but i hope you will be buying some winter wear in the fall as it gets rather cold here in the winters, except for if you live in the southern part of BC. Sites/stores i usually us are Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! , Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems, PC Components, Computer Parts & Accessories, Notebooks, Netbooks, Electronics, and more. , NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection. / Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada . Futureshop and Best Buy are big box stores which will typically be more expensive as it is at standard retail prices where the prior mentioned in store/online places are at informed computer user prices.
Old June 30, 2010, 08:04 AM
Top Prospect

Not sure what your situation is, but to be frank there will be a load of things that because of the stunted competition in the Canadian market will be significantly cheaper on the other side of the border.
Old June 30, 2010, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Welcome to Canada. The land of the AWESOME!

My top sites for Computing Gear are:
NCIX.com
Direct Canada.com
Newegg.ca

and for watercooling: Dazmode.com
-Corsair H-50 + 2x Cooler Master R4
-Asus RoG Rampage III Extreme
-6GB OCZ Platinum Triple Channel DDR3-1600 [7-7-7-20]
-2x EVGA GTX 295+ Quad SLI
-Corsair HX-1000
-WD 160GB Raptor 10000RPM
-WD 1000GB Black 7200RPM

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1249140.png
Old June 30, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

NCIX.COM is number one here. they have the best selection and offer price matching to pretty much every other online retailer, so no matter where else is cheaper, you can still get all your items from one basket instead of paying shipping to numerous other retailers chasing the bargains around.

I've got about $25 000 in invoices there this year alone and have never had a single support issue either, so i'm not just talking out of my ass, they really are good.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old June 30, 2010, 08:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

NCIX is number 1 in Canada and they price match so I order 90% of my stuff from there.

Welcome m8!
Old June 30, 2010, 09:37 AM
Rookie

Thankyou everyone for the welcome. Winter clothers are in shipping as well, think i will need better ones as Scotland doesn't get as cold as here from what i've been told.

Thanks for the heads up on the price matching good to know

Newegg.ca - ASUS N61JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS N61JQ-A1 Core i7 720 Quad Core Radeon 5730 1GB 500GB 4GB 16IN HD LED WIN7 Home Premium Notebook - N61JQ-A1 In Canada.

other than an A or X in their model numbers they seem to be the same machine?

Is there any other options for laptops at this price range with the same kind of power?

thanks again
Old June 30, 2010, 09:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well one noticable difference is the hard drive space. The one from NCIX has a larger hard drive at 500GB where the newegg one has a smaller one at 320GB
Old June 30, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

welcome to canada. we'll make a canuck out of you yet.

1. For me i use the following loctions fro all my tech and electonrincs purchases.

Computers

NCIX.com
Canadacomputes.com
Newegg.ca

Home Audio / Video

NCIX.com
Monoprice.com (based in the us, mainly for cabling)
Audiotronic / Demoulin

Personal Electronics (cameras, mp3 players, etc)

NCIX.com
Tigerdirect.ca
Henrys (primarily photography and video)

and for pricematching i use either shopbot.ca or the price matching service on this site.

Now get out there and taste some candiana such as some beaver tails and poutine.

BTW what part of canada did you move to if you don't mind my asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovian View Post
Thankyou everyone for the welcome. Winter clothers are in shipping as well, think i will need better ones as Scotland doesn't get as cold as here from what i've been told.
not sure on the temps in scotland but depending on the location temperatures can be fairly moderate to a winnipeg bonechilling -45+ celsius
Old June 30, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Welcome to Canada!!!

Don't forget to celebrate our Birthday tomorrow.

I like NCIX and their price matching is fantastic.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE