Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, but worth considering is being aware that we don't have an open border when it comes to shipping from the US. Unless you get items shipped USPS (US Postal Service) there are some rather hefty customs / brokerage fees attached to getting items across the border.

Welcome the Canada BTW!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not an expert, but in layman's terms the NAFTA covers items actually produced in NA thus most PC gear doesn't qualify. The biggest hit though isn't from customs fees, it's from "brokerage fees" for some yahoo to carry it across the border.
Brokerage fees really have nothing to do with getting your stuff across the border and everything to do with shipping companies having an excuse to steal your money. However, depending on who ships the items, that might not be a concern. Larger retailers usually have shipping deals with UPS or whatever company they use which means that you don't actually have to pay any fees (this has been the case with Newegg and also with the Coolermaster online store when I bought from them). But if you ever buy something from an individual on the other side of the border, always make sure that person ships via USPS.
Old July 6, 2010, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Ok just gone and done it G73JH this thing is a beast i7 1.6GHz (asus overclocks it at a touch of a button) 8Gb ram, BD, 2x 500Gb (will need to raid0 it) 5870 radeon. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Newegg.ca Best Price, Best Service..enough said.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovian View Post
Ok just gone and done it G73JH this thing is a beast i7 1.6GHz (asus overclocks it at a touch of a button) 8Gb ram, BD, 2x 500Gb (will need to raid0 it) 5870 radeon. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone.
Nice!

I really want one of those once I get my desktop done.

A mini review after you've had a chance to test everything out wouldn't hurt
Old August 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
Trial Member

Posting in this thread to continue on the discussion started by the OP. I'm newish to Canada (landed in 2006 from the UK) so have more of an idea of where to shop, but still struggle with the disparity between the US and Canadian markets and just how badly served Canada seems to be!! What is frustrating is that it seems pretty hard to find Canadian specific sites and so this little site is a rare gem. My shopping experience generally involves reading US sites like CNET, then doing my best to match models from within Canada and generally failing or balking at the prices.

Anyhoo, my latest target for a purchase is a general every-day house hold laptop for under $1000. The plan is to replace our desktop for most of the daily stuff we do which would mean surfing, pictures, music, MS Office etc. We also prefer the idea of moving our fixed desktop & desk down to the basement and leaving the laptop portable on the main floor. From what I read it seems like most laptops sold will easily do what we need it to do, but being mildly techy and knowing my budget I'm looking for the best bang for my buck rather than settling for something less...

There were some similiar laptops mentioned in this thread to what I have been looking for since the budget was similar (though the OP ended up spending upwards of $1500 by the looks of things). Specs I think I can get within the budget - 15inch, Core I5, 4GB RAM, 320GB+ HDD. I like the idea of Blu-ray since I've found it in my budget, but not essential.

Links to my top 3 -
ASUS A52F-X1 - $940 on Tigerdirect.ca with I5-450, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD - no dedicated graphics card but I game on my 360 so not a deal breaker i don't think. Does include Blu-Ray for the price
Samsung R580E - $900 on NCIX right now with I5-430, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, nVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - only has 32B Windows. CNET likes this laptop, albeit a version that includes Blu-Ray
Dell Studio 15 - $999 (savings of $550) with I7-720, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, ATIHD5470. one thing I have noticed is that the keyboard on the Studio 15 doesn't have a numeric pad, above 2 do

Any advice appreciated. Thanks