Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2010, 06:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Asus laptop model name

Some background information: my sister needs a laptop because she's moving out of the family house, and I'm in charge of finding her one.

That said, I would like to buy something from Asus/Toshiba. I'm looking especially at the Asus K52 series, which seems to fit her needs well. My question is, I have come across a tons of different models name and I would like to be able to rapidly differentiate between them:

K52JR-QA1-CB
K52JR-A1
K52F-A1
K52JK-...
K52JR-QHDA1-CBIL

Of course, I understand the 'K52 part', and it looks like the 'F/JK/JR' is related to the graphic card. I have tried to find this information on the web, but with no luck. Anyone could help me ?

Thanks

Old June 5, 2010, 09:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well as you said the F/JR are different video options. Now according to the Asus site there are only two main base models of the K52 in Canada and those are the K52F and the K52JR. The F is an integrated Intel video solution and the Jr is the Ati Mobility Radeon 5470.

Now any of the numbers that follow the base model number indicate different configurations. This usually indicates a different CPU, for example these machines could have any of the following CPU's:

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 540M/520M/450M/430M : 2.53 GHz - 2.26 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 3.06/2.93/2.93/2.53 GHz;
Intel® Core™ i3 Processor 370M/350M/330M : 2.4 GHz - 2.13 GHz,
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor P6000 : 1.86 GHz

Now generally you will only see i5 and i3 chips and usually only one or two of each.

The K52JR-QHDA1-CBIL and the K52JR-QA1-CB both have the i3 350M. Really the only difference I have seen between the two is the battery. It lists a 6 cell for the QHDA1 but I cannot find out what the battery with the QA1 is. The thing is there are some part numbers that are issued because that "exact" model are only available to certain box stores/warehouse joints, and that is why you can have to different product numbers and yet have the same specs.

As for the K52JR-A1 it has the core i5 430M CPU.

Hope that helps.

Old June 5, 2010, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yes, it does help, thanks for shedding some light.

I was hoping there was some kind of logic behind all that, or at least a comprehensive list of all the different models offered in Canada, but it looks like it doesn't work that way.

Old June 5, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxman View Post
Yes, it does help, thanks for shedding some light.

I was hoping there was some kind of logic behind all that, or at least a comprehensive list of all the different models offered in Canada, but it looks like it doesn't work that way.

I wish there was a comprehensive list, that would have helped a lot with my purchase of the Asus U30JC-A1. I had trouble see what was in Canada and what wasn't as well.

Old June 5, 2010, 06:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am also looking at the K52JR, but as you have encountered no one has a comprehensive list of each model. I was able to look at each model using my work's supplier list, but even it didn't have everything listed. I'll see if I can get a copy of the list on Monday and hopefully shed some light on all this. Asus sure doesn't make it easy. It shocks me that they don't list the individual models, as these are quickly becoming some of the best bang for your buck laptops out at the moment.

Oh, I am looking specifically at the K52JR-X4, specs list it as having the i5 450, ATI 5470, Blue Ray, and HD screen. However even that model number has shown up in reviews with different specs. I have yet to find the model wit the i5 540, as if I am going to buy one of these, I want the best specs I can find. I have access to it at cost, through work so why not.