Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2010, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

Question Question on Staples 3-years extended warranty

Got the HP 14' Core i3 G42-154CA from Staples (Bureau en Gros) today...They pester me with a 3 year warranty plans..They said the battery usually last 1 year or less..and the screen will go too..They said if I have to send the laptop back to HP, I have to ship it in original box and pay the shipping myself..can cost $100+..also the brand new battery cost ~ $120..

So I got the 3 year warranty for $149..Now I check EBay.ca and u can get HP laptop battery new for ~ $60..

I was wondering anyone have the warranty from Staples? Was it worthed for the 3 years one? or should I cancel it (go back for a refund within 30 days).

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My LG battery is 3 years old and still has 2 hour battery life (but i never used it much).

In another perspective, have you had a LCD monitor die in a year? Nope, my 17" Philips LCD is (i think) 5 years old.

I personally would refund it and use that ~120 on a better lappy (ie: ASUS w/ 2-3 year warranty)

-Plato
Old May 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Suggest you call HP first and see how much their 3yr warranty costs, if you're lucky you could also get a warranty that covers accidental.

Oh and never, I repeat NEVER listen to what sales reps have to say about warranty coverage, 99% of the time it is sales tactics to make it sound so good to make you get the extended warranty, first they don't cover accidental damage, spill on keyboard, anything else, not covered.

General rule of thumb is to get a manufacturer's warranty first and then the stores (which is on last resort).
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old May 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have work at Futureshop, staples and now I am tech in a private shop and I can tell you that for a laptop extended warranty IS valuable. first of all, Staples one cover the battery so if she lost life cycle with time ( and that will happen ) espcially with HP because these are Sony battery, they will change it. Also, the problem with a lappy is that there is 3 part. KB, MOBO,Screen. change KB isnot hard and not costy but if the mobo decide to fry or the screen to break up, good luck and the 149$ plan is pretty helpfull for that. Also, if you carry it outside you never know what can happen. On my HP ( DV6704 ) I'm on my third battery, second KB, HD have been replaced and I will leave it for repair because the mobo is acting wierd. That's probably over 700$ repair at all the only have cost me 169$ when I bought my laptop.

Personally, I would take it. there is many product on which there is no need like computer screen and such things but EVERYTHING that you carry or that have only few big component in ( like a HDTV) you have the panel and the screen, if panel die it will be expensive.

This is my point.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 20, 2010, 11:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have purchased extended warranties for both of the laptops I have bought (Dell, Toshiba) and I used it both times.

My Toshiba had a 2 year extended at staples, and they did a lot of work to it, and it was a PITA to get them to fix it (the warranty was not the issue, but skill of the techs). In the end, they basically rebuilt the entire laptop (including battery), and just re-used the cpu, HDD, DVD drive, and screen. The case (which I broke, so was pleasently surprised they replaced it), psu, mobo, battery, keyboard all were replaced.

So while the techs doing the troubleshooting were questionable (it was a tough problem though), I had no problems getting them to cover the cost. I have colleagues who have successfully gotten the battery replaced after a year or so too.

I would keep the warranty...as mentioned, a laptop is one of the few times I would get one.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the feedback...I have 30 days to cancel the plan so I will think about it...My cellphone battery does not last long..even if I don't use the cellphone often..The Tech said even u always plug in the power, the laptop still use the battery and eventually it will need to be replace...Question: When do u have to change the battery? Like the battery only last 30mins instead 2 hrs?
Old May 20, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao5269 View Post
Thanks for the feedback...I have 30 days to cancel the plan so I will think about it...My cellphone battery does not last long..even if I don't use the cellphone often..The Tech said even u always plug in the power, the laptop still use the battery and eventually it will need to be replace...Question: When do u have to change the battery? Like the battery only last 30mins instead 2 hrs?
Always depend. If you have 2hour of battery then at around 1hours you should replace it. When you will see a noticeable drop in time of use change it. IMO.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old May 20, 2010, 02:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hate to break it to you, but if their extended warranty is anything like futureshop and/or best buys it does not cover the battery or the AC power adapter either and those are typically the things that will go first with a laptop
Old May 20, 2010, 03:14 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao5269 View Post
Got the HP 14' Core i3 G42-154CA from Staples (Bureau en Gros) today...They pester me with a 3 year warranty plans..They said the battery usually last 1 year or less..and the screen will go too..They said if I have to send the laptop back to HP, I have to ship it in original box and pay the shipping myself..can cost $100+..also the brand new battery cost ~ $120..

So I got the 3 year warranty for $149..Now I check EBay.ca and u can get HP laptop battery new for ~ $60..

I was wondering anyone have the warranty from Staples? Was it worthed for the 3 years one? or should I cancel it (go back for a refund within 30 days).

Thanks!
I work at Staples. The battery warranty is definitely covered. While the batteries do cost $149 for the store to order in, you can indeed find cheaper ones on ebay. The sales person in store will tell you those batteries are "inferior" but I've bought ebay batteries and never noticed a difference.

If it was an ASUS laptop, I'd say forgo the warranty. However I've noticed tons of HPs coming into the service department, in fact, HP has shipped us dozens of refurbished laptops that are from the current generation. So I'd stick with the warranty since its an HP.
Old May 20, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My aunt worked at IBM, then switched over to Lenovo.
According to her laptops these days are only built to last about 2 years, so yeah, get the extended warranties.