Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Motorola Milestone: to buy or not to buy...

Hey HWCers!

I'm in the market for a new phone and it looks like Android could be the way to go, now that they've been updated to 2.1, and the technology is there to back them. I have been looking at the Milestone (aka Droid in the USA) and it looks like a very solid contender for what I want to do with it. I have always considered an iPhone because of its compatibility with EVERYTHING, such as for my car, etc., but I don't really like the look of it all that much, and the low pixel density compared to the Milestone.

Another thing is Telus. How are they? They seem to be the only ones really introducing new Android phones in Canada. Their $50 plan actually sounds quite reasonable, and I can get the phone without a contract for a decent price.

Now, another alternative, while being Android 1.6, is the Motorola Backflip. It seems like an interesting concept and will take a look at it when I get a chance to.

Let me know your thoughts!
Old May 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Telus has a pretty good loyalty and retention department. I spend 1.5 hours on the phone with them and got unlimited data/im/texting. Also got free 75 mins long distance and call display. Oh, I have a nationwide favorite 10 as well. I don't have a regular phone so my cellphone has to do everything.

I'm not unhappy with Telus, except for their archaic voice mail setup. If you have voice mail it will answer after 3 to 4 rings, and it can't be adjusted, at least not in BC.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:20 PM
MVP

Iv got a Rogers HTC Dream and well... got a few complaints...

1) They cut my Data plan off, and still charge me for it, i cant get it resolved.

2) i keep loosing 3g, and when i do i dont get texts until i reboot the phone

3) the screen is flimsy

Its a decent phone, and a decent OS, but Rogers is just... garbage.

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old May 13, 2010, 12:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I really want a new phone too. Android looks interesting. I really don't like my blackberry. The UI is extremely unresponsive and slow, and it drops calls frequently.

I'm with Bell and I remember reading that they only have one Android phone, but I don't remember what it is. Might go for an iPhone but I dunno. If I don't hear anything about more Andriods coming to Bell I'll probably just get a 4th Gen iPhone when they come out.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I like Telus, especially since their dedicated Blackberry staff is simply excellent. Another thing I like is that they have not farmed out their customer service overseas.

Personally, I am hoping Telus gets the HTC Desire or EVO.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXic View Post
Iv got a Rogers HTC Dream and well... got a few complaints...

1) They cut my Data plan off, and still charge me for it, i cant get it resolved.

I keep hearing things like this from Rogers customers....
Old May 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I keep hearing things like this from Rogers customers....
Orly?

17" Macbook Pro - Stock
15" Macbook Pro Retina - Stock
13" Macbook Air - Stock
Old May 13, 2010, 12:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Rogers is the worst in Newfoundland. 5 mins outside of any major city and your phone doesn't work anymore.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXic View Post
Orly?
One friend got a new phone, then never got a bill. Rogers took him to collections 6 months later trying to get money from him even though he never got a bill and had called SEVERAL times to try and get it rectified. He told them to blow it out their ass and they dropped all the charges. Then finally fixed the billing issue

Another friend split up from his gf and wanted to have his plan separated from hers. All he wanted was to split the account and then do a hardware upgrade to a new phone. He ended up getting billed for 2 phones and it took 4 months and about 10 phone calls to get it rectified. Each time the rep said they understood what he wanted but said they couldn't do anything about it, or some would say they fixed it. Eventually it got done but it took a long time and a lot of time on the phone.

... just the ones that come up off the top of my head.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I like Telus, especially since their dedicated Blackberry staff is simply excellent. Another thing I like is that they have not farmed out their customer service overseas.

Personally, I am hoping Telus gets the HTC Desire or EVO.
I agree too. Having a Snapdragon platform would be amazing. The only phone I see coming to Canada from HTC is the Legend though, so no high density pixel screens just yet.

Ugh...I hate living in Canada sometimes.

BTW, does anyone know if the EVO or Desire can be unlocked to use with carriers in Canada? I heard the EVO couldn't...