Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Laptop for School... And gaming

At the end of Augest, my post secondary starts and I will be needing a laptop. Not only will it be used for school, but also as a portable gaming device (nothing to extreme). Well, more or less I want it for portable gaming And to surf HWC and the internet while in my living room or other places.

Right now, I do not have a price set in stone, so make any reasonable sugestions.

- Needs to be Multi-Task friendly, as in - more power than a netbook. Want to be able to be on MSN, the net, multiple forums, youtube etc.
- Blu-Ray is nice, but not required
- Want to be able to play 3D games, but nothing like Metro or Crysis. More like Oblivion, Sims 3.
- Size doesn't really matte to me

Hell, I really have no idea what to look for in a laptop, as I have never had one before, nor looked into laptops.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

One thing that is important that I blew it when I got mine is the battery. You don't want to be charging it every 45 min.
Old May 3, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since you don't know what you are really looking for, I think you should first decide on roughly what size you want. For example if you want something large and powerful then you would be looking at 16-17". If you want something a little more portable but still with decent power then 14-15". Then there are the 12-13" ones that are way more portable and light but you sacrifice power. Of course the smaller and lighter it is the more battery life you will get (generally)

Now as for a few suggestions there is the Asus U30 or UL30 series for the sort of small but still decent power. Or there is the more gaming style G51 series. I know I have been looking at the U30JC myself.

So really decide on the rough size you want then look at the models available for that size. Plus it will help the rest of us give you decent suggestions.

Old May 3, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Since you don't know what you are really looking for, I think you should first decide on roughly what size you want. For example if you want something large and powerful then you would be looking at 16-17". If you want something a little more portable but still with decent power then 14-15". Then there are the 12-13" ones that are way more portable and light but you sacrifice power. Of course the smaller and lighter it is the more battery life you will get (generally)

Now as for a few suggestions there is the Asus U30 or UL30 series for the sort of small but still decent power. Or there is the more gaming style G51 series. I know I have been looking at the U30JC myself.

So really decide on the rough size you want then look at the models available for that size. Plus it will help the rest of us give you decent suggestions.
I would prefer a 17" and around that area. I like having a decent screen and weight really isnt a issue for me. Heck, the thing could weigh 20lbs and I wouldnt care
Old May 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have two on mind right now. This MSI: NCIX.com - Buy MSI GX640-098US Intel Core i5 430M 4GB 500GB 15.4IN WSXGA+ Radeon HD5850 Windows 7 Premium Notebook - 9S7-165611-098 In Canada., which has an Intel Core i5 430M and a Radeon 5850 and this ASUS: NCIX.com - Buy ASUS N61JQ-A1 Core i7 720 Quad Core Radeon 5730 1GB 500GB 4GB 16IN HD LED WIN7 Home Premium Notebook - N61JQ-A1 In Canada., which is an Intel Core i7 720 with a Radeon 5730. The Asus gains more processing power at the cost of a video card, but there is also better support with ASUS apossed to MSI - Thoughts?
Old May 4, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Asus all the way baby.. What's your budget by the way..

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G73JH-A1 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 2X500GB 17.3IN FHD Radeon 5870 Bluray Win 7 Premium Notebook - G73JH-A1 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G73JH-A2 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 2X500GB 17.3IN FHD Radeon HD5870 Windows 7 Premium Notebook - G73JH-A2 In Canada.

If you can afford off course, has everything you want, including 2 drive bays, for SSD :p... I could be wrong but I believe the only difference is A1 has the bluray, the A2 has regular dvd burner. This also has a superior gpu than the other Asus you listed.

That still doesn't mean that the N61JQ isn't good, it still has a pretty good gpu, it has USB 3.0 big plus, and the speakers my gosh are very good to be honest.. Although it lacks a full hd screen, only has a 720p screen resolution, also lacks the extra hdd bay.

If you can talk a Dell rep to get some discount, and if you can get some kind of EPP or student discount you could go Dell, although Dell for some is very behind in gpus. You could try their Alienware/Studio XPS line, descent laptops.

I though recommend sticking with Asus, the warranty is too good to pass up, right out of the box you get a 2yr standard warranty, with the first year being accidental, go figure, nobody gives that long, and if they do, they don't give accidental warranty for free.

If you want something not too pricey..Lenovo - Laptops & netbooks - IdeaPad laptops - Y Series - Y560

Again only 720p, but hey it's Lenovo and those Ideapads are pretty nice, a quad core certainly helps in games, not needed though, those i5 do a pretty good job. Also you know the drill right, check for coupons online, you'll find enough to please you.

Some websites you should check:

notebookreview.com
laptopmag.com
notebookcheck.net (I believe .net is english, if it doesn't work you could go to .com and click the english flag up top)

edit: If you can spend $$.. Lenovo Ideapads, the T or W series, they cost, but you're getting amazing build quality, award winning service from Lenovo, and you can customize her up..

Asus still wins.. Remember they make their own mobos..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution

Last edited by miggs78; May 4, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

I looked at both of those ASUS ones and honestly, I think that is too much power lol. Might as well sell my desktop then Still though, one of them would be nice.

Ill look at the XPS line, may contact dell about discounts/ finance plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Asus all the way baby.. What's your budget by the way..

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G73JH-A1 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 2X500GB 17.3IN FHD Radeon 5870 Bluray Win 7 Premium Notebook - G73JH-A1 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS G73JH-A2 Intel Core i7 720QM 8GB 2X500GB 17.3IN FHD Radeon HD5870 Windows 7 Premium Notebook - G73JH-A2 In Canada.

If you can afford off course, has everything you want, including 2 drive bays, for SSD :p... I could be wrong but I believe the only difference is A1 has the bluray, the A2 has regular dvd burner. This also has a superior gpu than the other Asus you listed.

That still doesn't mean that the N61JQ isn't good, it still has a pretty good gpu, it has USB 3.0 big plus, and the speakers my gosh are very good to be honest.. Although it lacks a full hd screen, only has a 720p screen resolution, also lacks the extra hdd bay.

If you can talk a Dell rep to get some discount, and if you can get some kind of EPP or student discount you could go Dell, although Dell for some is very behind in gpus. You could try their Alienware/Studio XPS line, descent laptops.

I though recommend sticking with Asus, the warranty is too good to pass up, right out of the box you get a 2yr standard warranty, with the first year being accidental, go figure, nobody gives that long, and if they do, they don't give accidental warranty for free.

If you want something not too pricey..Lenovo - Laptops & netbooks - IdeaPad laptops - Y Series - Y560

Again only 720p, but hey it's Lenovo and those Ideapads are pretty nice, a quad core certainly helps in games, not needed though, those i5 do a pretty good job. Also you know the drill right, check for coupons online, you'll find enough to please you.

Some websites you should check:

notebookreview.com
laptopmag.com
notebookcheck.net (I believe .net is english, if it doesn't work you could go to .com and click the english flag up top)

edit: If you can spend $$.. Lenovo Ideapads, the T or W series, they cost, but you're getting amazing build quality, award winning service from Lenovo, and you can customize her up..

Asus still wins.. Remember they make their own mobos..
Old May 4, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Amuse, you might be in luck..

Save on 17s - 4 days only! | Dell Canada

Last option, i7 720q, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 17.3" 900p, ATI 4650 1GB, and Blu ray. That's a very good deal, seriously I would have gone for it myself if it was in the 15". I just ended up getting a Studio 15 with about the same specs but a better vid card.

This one is also configured with a 9 cell battery, for that price, that is awesome. It's a little doubtful they will give you any further EPP on it, but you can push. Also try and push them for their Finance option, a simple credit check is needed and results are instant, I got myself a 6 months interest free payment plan, I was ready to pay with CC, but heck no interest and about $50 a month, worth it man, and the payments are from your bank account.

I wasn't going to myself, I was totally against me, but make sure you get the 2 or 3 yr complete care warranty, it pays off in the long run, my friend has gotten out a lot from them.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old May 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gateway 15.6" Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz Laptop (NV5909H) - Black - Future Shop

Price becomes $699 after you use a $50 off coupon.

I'd also recommend the MSIs as well. ASUS not so much because they can be quite expensive. However you'll be getting a great laptop and excellent customer service, not to mention the best warranty out there.
Old May 4, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Amuse, you might be in luck..

Save on 17s - 4 days only! | Dell Canada

Last option, i7 720q, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 17.3" 900p, ATI 4650 1GB, and Blu ray. That's a very good deal, seriously I would have gone for it myself if it was in the 15". I just ended up getting a Studio 15 with about the same specs but a better vid card.

This one is also configured with a 9 cell battery, for that price, that is awesome. It's a little doubtful they will give you any further EPP on it, but you can push. Also try and push them for their Finance option, a simple credit check is needed and results are instant, I got myself a 6 months interest free payment plan, I was ready to pay with CC, but heck no interest and about $50 a month, worth it man, and the payments are from your bank account.

I wasn't going to myself, I was totally against me, but make sure you get the 2 or 3 yr complete care warranty, it pays off in the long run, my friend has gotten out a lot from them.
After adding the 1920x1080 screen, 6GB of RAM, and a 2year plan+ accidental damage, it comes to $1,700. If I am not mistaking, the ASUS ones posted earlier seem better.