Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
These things are killer little beasties. Make sure to throughly test your sound with a good set of headphones/speakers and THEN your onboard speakers. There have been some issues with the creative driver set on these. I despise creative, so their drivers were gone on my first clean install.
The "Creative Bug" won't show up when testing sound....you'll know you're having "conflict issues" when your machine "crashes / freezes" running various Apps......mine did running a couple of DVD Ripping Programs, as well as a couple of games. Nuke "All Creative Software" immediately as its simply not required, Realtek handles the HD Audio just fine.....

Old April 27, 2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Does anyone know when the i5-520 cpu Asus UL30 is coming out? I think the model number is something like UL30JT.

I'm interested in a 13" or 14" screen laptop with i5 processor and decent LED screen quality. A bonus would be if it has an eSATA port for my terabyte drives. I also have a question regarding laptops smaller than 15" screens. Is there any benefit to a higher resolution like 1600x900? I wanted that res but that's when I was mostly interested in 15" screens and above. But, I think I might like portability now. I'm just investigating what's available in the screen sizes of 13" or 14". I can only budget around $1K so can't afford any MacBook Pros or Sony Z series.
Old April 27, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're looking at 1366X768 screen resolutions on 14" and smaller notebooks at best and I definitely would not expect any of them to have a high quality screen for under $1K. The UL series isn't too bad (I have a UL80) but it is no match for the higher level models.
Old April 29, 2010, 04:32 AM
Top Prospect

Well I finally got my laptop. Well I have had it for a few days now but I wanted to play around with it first before posting.

I must say it is a beautiful laptop and powerful to boot. So far I have played Dirt2, Global Agenda, and Stalker Clear Sky (with complete mod) and they all work ran at 30-60 FPS with max settings at 1920X1080 resolution.

Few Concerns:
- Drivers. When I installed new Catalyst Drivers (10.3 & 10.4pre) I would get GSOD almost as soon as I booted up. They were very unstable and I got very frustrated. I installed the official 10.4 drivers last night and all seems to be good atm but I hope it doesn't happen again.

- Size. Not so much a concern as a small nuance. I really wanted a 15.6 inch laptop but I figured I would settle with the 17.3 inches of goodness that is this one. Although not overly big by any means, it would still be nice for that extra portability.

- Battery Life. Well I knew what I was getting myself into here before I even bit the bullet. 1.5 - 2 hours web browsing, typing, that sort of thing. ~40 mins gaming depending on the game and load.

Again though, I knew most of these things before I bought so it was't an unexpected surprise and it doesn't take away from the laptop at all.

The ASUS G73JH is a wonderful laptop. It looks and feels pleasing and packs desktop power into a laptop form factor.

Oh yeah! The cooling is amazing! everything is cool to the touch even after playing games for 2-3 hours. The fans are also fairly quiet, under high load they rev up to slightly audible levels. The double fan cooling seems to be very effective.

Gigabyte 890GX / AMD Phenom II x6 1055 / Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB / EVGA GTX470 SC+ / Stock Cooling (Yet) / Corsair TX850 / Corsair Nova 128GB SSD / Antec 902/ Windows 7 PRO 64 bit/ 24" Acer LED Monitor
Old April 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

You have to sacrifice battery life, if you're on a 6 cell battery, then yea for that kind of powerful laptop, you aren't going to get much battery life out of it, unless you buy a 9 cell battery, things could change, but that's almost like your laptop became pregnant lol.

Drivers, for laptops, I've seen people have trouble with official drivers from the manufacturer, suggest you go with the ones that Asus has on CD or website.

The 15.6" one, well there's a 16" one from Asus with similar specs, but was less powerful than the 17.3" you got.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution