Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^^ Agree totally...great price as well.....I'm thinking of getting one of those to replace my wifes aging desktop in her store....

Old April 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

True.. Although remember the use the CULV processors, which will give you a little dent on performance side.. But no doubt they are one of the best around.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anything ASUS makes is solid, and I still stand by MSI. But if I were actually traveling to Qatar, I would seriously consider a Dell for their warranty coverage.
I can't recommend Acer..
Old April 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Acer is a hit and miss, there laptops are descent, the 5740 ones, all-in-one notebook, can play games at med quality.

I really wonder how MSI is, I've seen some people actually recommend them, I'll take my previous comment back of bashing them, wonder how they are... mmm..

If you're going Dell, stay away from the Inspirons, they might look tempting, but the build quality is totally opposite. Studio Lines actually few features from the XPS line, and by god those look darn sexy!!.. lol.. I would have gotten their Studio 15, only if it had a num pad..
Old April 19, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bout Acer/Gateway being hit and miss... 3 year old Acer laptop, still going strong. Granted I don't use it daily and not as much as one usually use a laptop nowadays, but hey, still great. The Gateway I posted earlier back is definitely an excellent budget gamer.

Acer Aspire AS5740G-6979: Budget Priced but Great Gaming - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

^ pretty much similar to the Gateway NV5909H.
Old April 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I am still 110% sold on ASUS UL30/50/80 series notebooks. Best all around and best battery life PLUS it is so light and easy to carry.
^ Couldn't have put it better myself.
This plus the addition of NVIDIA Optimus on select models (do I sound like a shill yet? It really is THAT awesome!)
The Asus N61JV is a pretty beefy notebook thought, its meant for heavy performance and isn't likely to get unbelievable battery life like we see with the UL series. Expect around 4 hours @ Idle. For general use and an all day battery stick with a ULV CPU.

Keep in mind with Asus, you get a 2 Year Global Warranty + 1 Year Accidental Damage.... all of this is included with notebook purchase.

An extended warranty of this magnitude (1 Yr Extra + Accidental Damage) runs over $300 easily on a sub $1000 notebook.

Not saying to discount other brands, but Asus is a serious contender to be one of the best notebook manufacturers out there.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
^ Couldn't have put it better myself.
This plus the addition of NVIDIA Optimus on select models (do I sound like a shill yet? It really is THAT awesome!)
The Asus N61JV is a pretty beefy notebook thought, its meant for heavy performance and isn't likely to get unbelievable battery life like we see with the UL series. Expect around 4 hours @ Idle. For general use and an all day battery stick with a ULV CPU.

Keep in mind with Asus, you get a 2 Year Global Warranty + 1 Year Accidental Damage.... all of this is included with notebook purchase.

An extended warranty of this magnitude (1 Yr Extra + Accidental Damage) runs over $300 easily on a sub $1000 notebook.

Not saying to discount other brands, but Asus is a serious contender to be one of the best notebook manufacturers out there.
Hey Fix.. just to confirm, you said 2 yr global + 1yr accidental.. to get it straight, that's not 3 yrs right... just 2 yrs (1yr global + 1yr accidental) .. full 2 years.. Or is it really 3 years.. ?

edit: Oh and geokilla that Acer laptop I had my eye on it also, only that it is now discontinued.. Notebookcheck: Review Acer Aspire 5741G-334G50Mn Notebook

Unfortunately I can't find an official announcement made, but rumors are on multiple forums that the 5740g is discontinued..

Last edited by miggs78; April 19, 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Hey Fix.. just to confirm, you said 2 yr global + 1yr accidental.. to get it straight, that's not 3 yrs right... just 2 yrs (1yr global + 1yr accidental) .. full 2 years.. Or is it really 3 years.. ?

edit: Oh and geokilla that Acer laptop I had my eye on it also, only that it is now discontinued.. Notebookcheck: Review Acer Aspire 5741G-334G50Mn Notebook

Unfortunately I can't find an official announcement made, but rumors are on multiple forums that the 5740g is discontinued..
I think it's 2 years total, where first year is accidental. Check ASUS' site.

As for the Acer laptop, why get that when you can get the Gateway?
Old April 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

To be honest with you.. Usually when I buy a laptop, I don't only look at the specs of the laptop, off you want to know how sturdy the laptop is, and you want to know if the company has good customer/tech support.

Acer like I said is a hit and miss, I've more negative feedbacks then positive ones. And that's just for Acer, Gateway is owned by Acer, but is worse.

Also you got to look at Asus laptops might be a little bit more expensive than others with the same specs, but offering you 1yr accidental warranty for free, where everyone else is not, that itself is pays, I would rather pay $50 more, then pay another $150 for an extended warranty.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I gave you my view on it (actually own an Acer and used my cousin's Gateway) and like I said, great laptop. Of course, it's up to you to make the final purchasing decision, but just letting you know.