Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2010, 12:10 AM
Rookie

Default Dell or ASUS?

Hi all,

I was trying to figure out my laptop choices for gaming and have basically whittled it down to 3:

1) ASUS G73JH-A1 (17.3")
ATI 5870 Graphics
i7-720QM (1.6GHz)
8GB RAM
BD

2) Dell XPS Studio 16 (15.6")
ATI 4670
i7-820 (1.73GHz)
8GB RAM
BD

3) Dell Studio 17
ATI 4650
i7-820 (1.73GHz)
8GB RAM
No BD Player (because dell was awesome like that for their options)

I like the Dell support because they've been pretty awesome to me over the years and have taken very good care of me; however, I was wondering if it would be worth it to bounce to ASUS for the better GFX card, but lesser support / CPU. I would have liked to get an Alienware/Precision Workstation, but.... money doesn't grow on trees, heh. Anyways, if anyone knows if Dell will be upgrading their Studio / XPS line to the new ATI card, then I can sit for a bit, but if I was to decide within the next month, I would like to choose between these.

If someone has a good suggestion, then I'm all ears, but the price limit is about 2.5K (but can be a couple hundred above if needed). Again, I would like to do some gaming like C&C4 or StarCraft 2, but I also am a heavy CAD / programming person, so anything fitting the bill is good.

I need a laptop because I do need to cart it to a meeting sometimes, but size is not too much of a concern.

Thanks
Old March 16, 2010, 06:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I can't really speak about the xps line or that specific asus laptop but I can compare their support.
Asus has the best [standard] warranty which is 2 years with the first year being accidental. I believe you can also extend this to 3 years for free depending. If you live in Toronto then even better as their Markham service centre can be called directly for fixing and parts.
To me, Asus has been great to me with support and their turn around time is extremely quick so warranty between these two shouldn't be at the top of your priorities IMO.
500gb SG + 2TB WD20EARS
Corsair TX650W
Asus P5Q
Lancool K-62BW
Old March 16, 2010, 07:04 AM
MVP

Dell Support sucks these days (having moved to India) - IMO!

SquareTrade produced a summary of interesting info:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

Synopsis: SquareTrade analyzed failure rates for over 30,000 new laptop computers covered by SquareTrade Laptop Warranty plans and found that one-third of all laptops will fail within 3 years.

Highlights of the study include:
- Looking at the first 3 years of ownership, 31% of laptop owners reported a failure to SquareTrade. Two-thirds of this failure (20.4%) came from hardware malfunctions, and one-third (10.6%) was reported as accidental damage.
- Netbooks are projected to have a 20% higher failure rate from hardware malfunctions than more expensive laptop computers.
- ASUS and Toshiba were the most reliable manufacturers, with fewer than 16% having a hardware malfunction over 3 years.
Old March 16, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Out of those 3 I'd get the Asus. You won't notice much real world difference between the Dell and Asus CPUs imo. I can't say I am a fan of 17" laptops but if you're ok with it that Asus gets my vote.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 16, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Asus.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 16, 2010, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Default Ok

Thanks everyone for your input. So I guess it's the ASUS then.

Personally, I do get the support I need from Dell and they have sent a technician or parts to my apartment a few times to fix problems (accidental or hardware related). Indian support hasn't really changed much for me.

I don't have far to go and I like the multimedia stuff I can get with these laptops. I would like an Alienware or Precision, but I just don't have the funds for them and I can't choose a Sony, unfortunately... Oh office sources...
Old March 16, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Out of those 3 I'd get the Asus. You won't notice much real world difference between the Dell and Asus CPUs imo. I can't say I am a fan of 17" laptops but if you're ok with it that Asus gets my vote.
^^^ +1.....you can get the G73 "without" the Blueray Reader for about $200 less, take that saved $230 and purchase an SSD, pop out one of the 500GB Momentus HDs and replace with the SSD. Not sure if those Dell have 2 or 1 HDD, like the Asus...thats the beauty of 2 HDD's, now you have the option to replace one of em with the SSD ;)

As Thunder stated...I too am not a fan of 17" Notebooks...but that G73 is a beaut....

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...nufacture=ASUS
^^ Should be able to Pricematch to around $1575 CDN

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Intel
^^^ Should be able to Pricematch to around $260

Have fun....swapping out the HD with an SSD does not effect the Asus Warranty...then clean install W7 onto the SSD, the Asus Utility Disc will allow you to selectively install Drivers / Utilities and avoid useless Bloatware.

Last edited by rjbarker; March 16, 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:31 AM
Banned

Dell just plain bites...pure and simple. Low grade machines and low grade service. Asus is not great....but it is better than Dell for sure.
Old March 17, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Low grade machines and low grade service. Asus is not great..
Not sure about Asus RMA Process as I haven't had any HW issues with my G51J. I can say that:
1. Asus Web Site is good for Download Utilities, Bios Updates for my Notebook, BUT the Notebook portion of the Forum is about as useful as t-ts on a bull!
2. Thie is a pretty good Notebook Forum here for Asus, however thier too, not too technical (problem solving), very clicky with endless Threads about Benchmarking and BSOD's....kind of makes me smile as these guys are trying to push thier Notebooks to Desktop type performance, then bitch about (create Threads) about heat and BSOD's....not bad though for some simple software / utility assistance and some pretty good "Guides" regarding Bloatware removal etc etc..
Asus Laptop Forums - Asus Notebook Computer Discussions

Old March 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not all ASUS laptops are created equal. Some have a SIS chipset to keep the costs low... that being the case; I would take a Dell laptop with an Intel chipset over an Asus laptop with a SIS chipset ANYDAY.

Scrutinize the models you are comparing side by side.

Tags
dell asus gaming laptop