Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

Default URGENT Old laptop upgrade question

hi all,

usually i do not need help regarding pc's but for laptops i am newb here. so i just have a quick question. i have a dell latitude cpx here that i cannot find the exact model number but it has a ibm travelstar 20gb hdd in it and i would like to upgrade it. i dont know what is compatible with it. i know it is a ide 2.5'' but i dont know what would be the max size supported. can i put something like 80gb, 160gb? it would be running windows xp. if you guys have links of products it would be appreciated.

also it has a p3 650mhz that looks to be on a mmc-2 socket and i found a 750mhz on ebay that is on the same socket aswell. would it be compatible?

i need a quick answer because ebay auctions ends quick

thx in advance
Old January 15, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Changing to a 750MHz CPU will offer almost no gain at all in speed, waste of cash. Instead of changing the drive I would get an external USB drive to store all data and just use the 20GB drive for the OS install. It's very likely that chipset/BIOS will not support over 37GB anyways.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Changing to a 750MHz CPU will offer almost no gain at all in speed, waste of cash. Instead of changing the drive I would get an external USB drive to store all data and just use the 20GB drive for the OS install. It's very likely that chipset/BIOS will not support over 37GB anyways.
thx for you're reply. i know it is a "waste of cash" but it is a customer that wants me to upgrade the laptop and he has a budget allowed for this. For 30$ i think it is worth it especially that this laptop is slow with windows xp. the laptop already has 512mb of memory wich i think is the maximum allowed so the only think remaining to skeeze a little more performance is the cpu and hdd.

so you think this chipset allows only 37gb maximum so maybe i could at least put a 40gb hdd then. How can i know the maximum size the chipset will support?
Old January 15, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can you find the exact model number?

As for the CPU, it should be supported but it is honestly a crapshoot. Look on Dell's site for any BIOS upgrades first.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My old P IV laptop is slow like Hell, I have 512 gb and a fresh install of Xp with everything fancy disable.. customer always expect miracle. just told him it will not happen with a PIII
Old January 15, 2010, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Can you find the exact model number?

As for the CPU, it should be supported but it is honestly a crapshoot. Look on Dell's site for any BIOS upgrades first.
the only thing i can see is dell latitude cpx ppx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
My old P IV laptop is slow like Hell, I have 512 gb and a fresh install of Xp with everything fancy disable.. customer always expect miracle. just told him it will not happen with a PIII
yes but i already told that to the customer IMO it is not worth 5cents but meh i dont take the decisions
Old January 15, 2010, 06:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
yes but i already told that to the customer IMO it is not worth 5cents but meh i dont take the decisions
Believe me, you not out of trouble if you do everything customer ask.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Have to agree with Markone here, this customer will be even more upset when the machine is no faster and money was spent. Getting a USB external drive is also smarter since it can transfer to the new laptop the customer really needs. This is a no win for you as the technician, I would personally refuse the work as would 99% of most shops when it comes to attempted upgrades on obsolete machines.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:03 PM
Trial Member

Exclamation Old is New

Quote:

I was told a Latitude Dell LS would not support a large drive, there are PATA drives at the 320GB level or similar, over 250GB anyway, XP will see that, Win 9x (95-98-ME) will not. However, you can get a format of 120GBs from a larger drive, Formatting with Windows 9x allows an easy swap, with Vista or XP, the chipset and variables must match, then it assumes the same system with new peripherals. Trust me, I work on these for a few years now, just look on YouTube to see what can be done.

The C series includes the CPx all the way to the C800s and above, C800 series has Pentium 3 Tualatin and built in DVD/CD drives as well as modules, the CPx and C600, C610, and C640 share the same outward hardware so motherboards can be swapped, even among Inspiron with the same specs. I took them apart and shared things like 14.1 inch displays among the 600-640s, where the CPx and CPt, etc, tend to vary is the evolution to Pentium 3, and Dell supported three speeds there all in all I believe, 650, 750, and 850 PIII Coppermines

For the MMC-1, perhaps same appearance as the PIII machines but the hardware WAS revised as far as layout. The only real problem is USB x1 port and Dell's reluctance to move to 2.0 USB for some time, and these demand often to have a USB support card and no Internal Ethernet is the main drawback, no miniPCI card for Wifi onboard, so try a port replicator perhaps? Some allow additional features, as well as a power source if the jack goes bad on the main laptop.

To also note, two front modules for the Latitudes means you can buy two batteries and use them in both slots! My first computer was a 700Mhz Celeron, and it came with DVD combi drive, so the speed of the CPU is really no issue. Tualatin is the best, but Coppermine is no slouch! Mobiles are faster then desktops I believe
Old June 2, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Best upgrade for such an old laptop would be a SSD, there is one on newegg, 8GB, ATA, but is 100$, more than that laptop costs right now. Otherwise, I would consider giving it up completely such an old configuration .