Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default replacement hard drive

Greetings all, I have a friend and her laptop hard drive has crapped out. It's a dell studio 1735 with a samsung HM160HI hard drive. I know very little about laptops but I'm assuming this is a 2.5" drive. I know for a fact that it is SATA because it said so in the specs.

I was wondering if it has to be replaced with an identical drive or will any 2.5" laptop drive be ok? If so, what would be a decent replacement somewhere in the $60-$70 range? Any suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old January 9, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Any Sata 2.5 hdd should do. Id go for a WD Scorpio Black or Blue. Black if noise, heat and power consuption is not an issue. Blue if you need a moderate speed, heat and power drive. Prolly have to downgrade the size of the HDD if you go Black....but you should be able to find one or the other that fits your budget! IIRC the 250GB Blacks are right at the edge of your budget. IF you can push it to $80 or so you prolly could get a 320 Black.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 9, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the quick reply AkG. That is what I wanted to know.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)