Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

Default Anyway to use a laptop screen as a second monitor?

Is there like some type of device that lets you do this? Im pretty video sources on laptops are outputs and not inputs
Old December 31, 2009, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You could use this: Multi Monitor - Dual Monitor - KVM switch that would do it over the network. Obviously you have to buy it, but it would do what you want.

Only other way would be to rip out your laptop LCD and wire up a VGA/DVI port to it somehow.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:42 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
Is there like some type of device that lets you do this? Im pretty video sources on laptops are outputs and not inputs
I wanted to do this in the past when building new computers (for testing purposes). I usually build new systems in the living room, and I keep my monitors in my own room. After Googling and reading few articles and forum posts, I found that it's possible, but the methods were too inconvenient to do. It's still much easier to unplug my monitor, move it to the living room, and plug it to the new system.

If you can find easier methods, I'll be interested to know too.
Old December 31, 2009, 11:23 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
You could use this: Multi Monitor - Dual Monitor - KVM switch that would do it over the network. Obviously you have to buy it, but it would do what you want.
"Control up to four computers from a single keyboard and mouse even more convenient than using a KVM switch - Simply move the mouse cursor to the computer you would like to control with the software KVM feature"

I may give a try to this one ,
Old December 31, 2009, 12:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
"Control up to four computers from a single keyboard and mouse even more convenient than using a KVM switch - Simply move the mouse cursor to the computer you would like to control with the software KVM feature"

I may give a try to this one ,
I used a trial quite some time ago, and it worked quite well surprisingly.