Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Your thoughts on this laptop?

I've been looking around for a laptop that costs $650 or less, the cheaper the better, that has a 15.6" or smaller screen, 4gb ram, 2ghz or faster processor, hdmi and a mid-range graphics card that could play some games at medium settings. I couldn't find anything other than laptops with crappy hd 3200's on ncix, canada computers, newegg, etc... and then of all places I found this at staples:

Staples

I don't know what it has for battery life, I'd like one that can use wifi for 2hrs with no gaming, but I can deal if it's not that great. Negatives I can see are a lower than average resolution(wish it was 1440x900 but oh well), and the NIC is only 10/100... thats lame but oh well.

Just wanted to know what you guys think. The cheapest laptop I could find on any of the sites I checked with an ati 4570(or better) was around $800. So this looks like an awesome deal.
If you've seen other laptops around $600 that have similar or better specs please share, I'd like to buy this by the end of the week.
Old December 7, 2009, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, after selling and repairing laptop for yeats I can't recomend you Gateway. This brand is the cheap Acer. If it's to cheap for Acer gateway will receive it. Price is great for the spec but I would get a extended warranty. That's not even a choice for me. Most of the time it cost alf or more the price of the laptop itself so...it's worthy. Also there is nothing wrong with a 10-100 NIC. unless you plug it in cross-over or in a gigy switch and transfer really big files you wont even notice the difference. For now ISP never go to 10Mbps so I wont really take this as a con.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 7, 2009, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I kind of want to set up a home file/media server with my old desktop, so thats why not having the gigabit connection is a bit of a bummer, but it's not very far up the scale.
I have heard bad things from a few of my friends about gateway, but not as much as HP at least.
Since I'm looking for value, the extended warranty isn't an option, I'd just buy it and hope the mfg warranty would cover anything that broke until it ran out.
Has any one tested a laptop with a 4570? Since this is supposed to be a discrete card I would think the battery life is going to hurt, unless the battery is a beast.
Thanks
Old December 7, 2009, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My dad got a Gateway, seen here Gateway MD7811U Review, and it's been fine so far.

The HD4570 is slower than the HD3650 though if I remember correctly. And the HD3650 can run NFS Undercover decently.
Old December 7, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depends which HD4570 that is, IIRC there are two cards, one with GDDR2 memory and one with GDDR3. The specs on Staples won't tell you what it is but guessing by the price point I would think it's the GDDR2 so that means another hit on performance. On a mobile GPU I think it's a significant hit. For your budget you won't find much in terms of a gaming laptop. Unless you can increase your budget you only have one or two choices. The other might be something like this Acer.
Canada Computers - Notebooks/Netbooks > Refurbished Notebooks > 16" & Over Ref. : Acer Aspire AS6930-6555 (Refurbished) Notebook - Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHz, 16" LCD, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M 512MB, Blu-ray/DVD-RW Combo, Wireless

Or maybe the Dell outlet, fleabay or a forum BST.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 8, 2009, 01:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Up until this last week I would have never thought of Staples as the place to go for laptops, but I'm finding some nice deals there.
Staples
That laptop is around $100 cheaper than ncix has it listed for(but then again, its also $100 off at staples, haha), for $770 it has a 210m gpu(little better than the 4570) and a 2.2ghz intel processor.
I'll probably be buying tonight or tomorrow, and I'll see if I can talk them down to an even $700 or see if I can get a bag or mouse with it free, but probably not since its already on sale.
That refurb is very nice also, and a big jump in gpu performance, but its not available for online purchase =(.

And I'm not really looking for a gaming laptop, just want something that will play games at very modest settings, 25-30fps is plenty for me on a laptop, and going by notebookcheck.com the 4570 and 210m
both would fit into what I'm looking for.
The primary use would be programming, database, and maybe to play movies on a hdtv. But with a x2 2.2ghz processor and 4gb of ram I don't think either of the laptops I've looked at would have a problem
running oracle or netbeans or compiling code(and not taking forever).
Thanks
Old December 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

personally i think gateways are nice but if your going for something over priced then go for a mac.. gateways are overpriced junk.. but if you love pc.. go with HP or Toshiba
Old December 8, 2009, 08:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I bought the gateway, and it works very nicely for the hour that I've used it so far. For $600 I dont think I could have done better(unless I got a refurb maybe). I've installed bioshock and it plays with all high settings at its native resolution perfectly. I didn't use a fps monitor, but I couldn't see it stutter. I'll give a little more in depth review sometime in a few days or next week.
And I'm confused by your post kendall, are you being sarcastic when you say gateways are junk, or when you say you like them?
There was a toshiba there that I was really trying hard to justify buying, and it had a little better specs but was $800 and I didn't feel the step up in price was worth it.
And for hp, I dislike the looks of their laptops(except for a few like the probook, and thier tablets) and I've heard the quality control isn't so great. But, second hand experiences should be taken with a grain of salt IMO, and if there was an HP there that was a better deal I probably would have bought it.
The only things I could see me wanting on this laptop are bluetooth and a backlit keyboard, but they'er minor.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Old December 8, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looking forward to that review. Enjoy!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
Rookie

There are two things wrong with this...you're considering a gateway and you want to buy it from staples. Staples has some of the most expensive laptops I've ever seen. I'm sure you could get that exact same laptop at a better price made buy a better brand for cheaper at somewhere like Best Buy or Future Shop. Go for an acer at least!
3GB RAM
120HDD
Nvidia Geforce 8200M