Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 07:50 AM
Rookie

Default Which laptop to purchase

I'm on the hunt for a laptop for the missus for xmas. I'm no slouch where puters are concerned but am in need of a little direction as to which makes are better.

So far I've been advised go with Toshiba, then just today someone else said Gateway all the way the rest are rubbish.

Don't need it for heavy gaming, would like a at least 15in widescreeen and 4 gig ram
so far I've pinned it down to these two, any advise would be welcome and if there are other major manufactures to consider.

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Gateway 15.6" Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz Laptop (MD7811U) - Burgundy - English

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Toshiba Satellite 15.6" AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core QL-65 2.1GHz Laptop (L500D-00F) - Grey

Thank you
Old November 3, 2009, 09:12 AM
Banned
F@H

You can check also a dell.ca
Old November 3, 2009, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Check out my review here: Gateway MD7811U Review

And obviously I'll recommend it over the Toshiba. AMDs are slower and more power hungry than Intel IMO, at least the chips being compared. The Gateway is a superb value, however in the flyers lately that Gateway is going to be gone soon so grab it while you can. It was $650 a few weeks back though.

However since the Gateway does have dedicated graphics, the battery life isn't the greatest. You can still average around 2h though. However I doubt the Toshiba does much better if at all.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:48 PM
Rookie

Gateway is to be gone soon ?? I did hear they were bought out by Acer, is this true ? so not a good idea to get one of them if there won't be any support available.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
You can check also a dell.ca
Mmmm Dell huh, hadn't thought of them they and Lenovo I was told to stay away from as garbage, this is very interesting.
Old November 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmm, Seaking, eh?

I knew someone who used that name before on IRC.... he worked on the Sea King helicopters....
Old November 4, 2009, 04:52 PM
Rookie

Ok to the gurus here, this is the laptop I just picked up this evening, with the specs it seems like a really good deal and just right for the missus and with Windows 7 64 bit I was smiling.

Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: Gateway NV Series 17.3" Intel Pentium T4300 2.1GHz Laptop (NV7401H) - Black

Got home and went looking for some info on it like a review etc and was very surprised to see no info at all on it, not even on Gateway's website. Being that is only came out Oct 22nd seeing no info on their website is making me very wary.

So before I take it back tomorrow for something else, is this something I should be concerned about, no place to get latest drivers for it etc, and their support line you have to pay per minute which also scares me in case you need them. You can't even call anyone their VRU directs you right back to their website.

I"ve sent them an email asking about this, waiting for their reply, thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any views and or advice.

Thanks
Old November 4, 2009, 09:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gateway itself is not going anywhere. I meant that the MD7811U model is discontinued at Future Shop now, so it's on final clearance.

As for drivers, manufacturer's site rarely ever has the latest stuff and you're best off searching for them elsewhere. Like if it uses Realtek audio, then get the drivers from Realtek, not Gateway. And for the Intel graphics, go to the Intel site. And so on.

And have you tried these support options: Gateway Official Site: Gateway Official Site: Canada Doesn't sound like there's any charges.

If it works fine, and she's happy with it, I don't see why you want to return it...
Old November 4, 2009, 09:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Toshiba Qosmio is a great product, but their Satellite line is garbage IMO. (sorry if i did a number in anyones cornflakes. Most of my distributors refuse to carry the Satellite lineup).

I was in a bind last month and needed SOMETHING for a laptop to fill a void. Picked up a LG laptop from futureshop and never looked back. R5xx series. Solid, light weight, and a beautiful LED backlit screen. The price was outstanding as well. The best part about the LG is has VERY LITTLE garbage apps plugging up the base install. I urge you to check them out.
Old November 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaking View Post
Gateway is to be gone soon ?? I did hear they were bought out by Acer, is this true ? so not a good idea to get one of them if there won't be any support available.
Gateway was bought by Acer the same way HP bought up Compaq, the lines as far as I know will remain the same. This way they own more market share in the end.

The LG's are decent little rigs, I concur, had very few issues with them. Little pricier then some other options but all in all, well built, good specs.