Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default External Graphics Adaptors FOR LAPTOPS

Hi guys,

I want to hear ur opinion on this product.

ViDock 2: High Performance Dual Display Notebook Expansion

It is an external graphics adapter that can be fitted with an ATI 4670. Rumors has it that they will come out w/ a larger version for the ATI 4890. :DROOLZ: by using the Express Card slot.

Btw, can any find the article about the PCI E bandwidth article by Tom's???

THX

-Plato
Old July 7, 2009, 04:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Seems like a really good idea, makes you have to not worry about what GPU unit you buy when you get the laptop and allows you to install w/e GPU you want instead. Its funny on that page where they are recommending people get the windows 7 RC and to get away from vista to see even greater graphics performance. Vista, may you rot in hell!
Old July 7, 2009, 09:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

that looks awsome! i should pick one up for the office if the price is right.
Old July 8, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Good Idea, and very much overdue. I have been wishing for something like this for 3 years.

Old July 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

There have been a few attempts at this sort of thing already, but they always fall flat for reasons of limited/non-production, power requirements, to say nothing of the absence of any high-bandwidth interface on the majority of laptops.

In this case, best scenario, it's only going to see the equivalent of PCI-E x2 bandwidth. Nevermind the power requirements of the higher-end cards.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but does that really matter as a 9800GX2 can't max out 4x or 8x. (the article by Tom's, i can't find it)

-Plato
Old July 8, 2009, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

You can pick and choose your benchmarks in this department, honestly. Here's a THG examination from a couple years ago - see the results from yourself. PCI-E x1 murders performance, and in some cases, even x4 is seeing problems. Now, bear in mind that these are old cards (8800 GTS/X1900XTX), on older, less GPU-demanding games, and things don't look promising for newer, stronger cards. The PCI-E x4 in the linked review will be first-gen, so it will correspond (roughly) to a PCI-E 2.0 x2 in overall bandwidth, which is the best-case scenario that this proposed adaptor could see, assuming that the laptops ExpressCard 2.0 is tied into the PCI-E, and not the USB.
Old July 8, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

some dude on Notebookreviews said that nearly every laptop there is only Express Card 1.0

-Plato
Old July 8, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia.ExpressCard
ExpressCard 2.0 Standard was delivered March 4, 2009 at CeBIT in Hannover. It complies with PCI-Express 2.0 and SuperSpeed USB, which is part of the USB 3.0 specification. It is backwards compatible with current ExpressCard modules and 2.0 ExpressCard modules will work in current slots. ExpressCard 2.0 products are expected to be in the market in 2010.
Right now, more than likely, so the best case scenario for them would be only half as good again.

Unfortunately, if the base chipset doesn't support it, you just can't pull massive amounts of bandwidth from nowhere. The gaming notebooks on the market right now generally use chipsets that actually have a proper PCI-E interface. And if it's not a gaming laptop, with the battery-life concerns and cut-throat margins right now, a manufacturer isn't going to include anything that costs extra or consumes more power, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old July 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Alright, that being said...

This is still a good idea right??