Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Shoud i get a Macbook pro? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/17538-shoud-i-get-macbook-pro.html)

hen555 May 3, 2009 12:30 PM

Shoud i get a Macbook pro?

I have 4 windows pc's and i want to try out the apple stuff

are macbook pros good?
i ned a laptop for university

enaberif May 3, 2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hen555 (Post 189036)
I have 4 windows pc's and i want to try out the apple stuff

are macbook pros good?
i ned a laptop for university

No.

Save your money and buy a decent netbook or lower end laptop.

bojangles May 3, 2009 12:35 PM

I've been debating this for myself for a year now. I finally came to the conclusion that it is totally not worth it. Sure, they look cool and OSX is kind of fun to use, but after using a friend's MacBook, I just couldn't justify the reason why anyone would want one for university. Windows laptops are perfect in every way, and their performance is much better than MacBooks. Unless the courses you're taking require a MacBook, I really wouldn't invest in one. IMHO, they're the number one object being stolen these days.

Get a Windows based laptop.

MacJunky May 3, 2009 12:48 PM

But get one with a good case. I am sick of lifting up other people's lappies and ending up feeling like they are going to snap in half under their own weight.

I am sorry but computers should not bend.

dataxpert May 3, 2009 12:59 PM

A net book for university work ? :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 189039)
No.

Save your money and buy a decent netbook or lower end laptop.

lowfat May 3, 2009 12:59 PM

If you can afford to do so, then by all means buy one. Although I don't know if a Pro is worth the extra money over the regular MB now. My MBP is my favourite computer I own. OSX isn't for everybody though. However If you end up not liking it you can sell it and not take much of a hit. Apples keep their value a whole lot more than any windows based machine.

CMetaphor May 3, 2009 01:00 PM

Pay 500-1000 less and get a decent midrange laptop. More options for style, gaming, size, etc. And far more customizable and upgradable.

dataxpert May 3, 2009 01:02 PM

Before decide on a MAc, get info on what software you will install on the laptop.... University study can ask for sepcial software that will work only on PC.

lowfat May 3, 2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 189067)
Pay 500-1000 less and get a decent midrange laptop. More options for style, gaming, size, etc. And far more customizable and upgradable.

pay 500 - 1000 less and you'll end up getting a thick huge plastic notebook. He doesn't want one for gaming. Style? Besides a Vaio, Dell Adamo, and the Voodoo Envy (All of which are in the Apple price range) most notebooks come short on style. Upgradable? Since when is any notebook upgradeable. You can upgrade the HDD + memory on a MP within 5 minutes.

lowfat May 3, 2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataxpert (Post 189069)
Before decide on a MAc, get info on what software you will install on the laptop.... University study can ask for sepcial software that will work only on PC.

Then he could use VMWare, Boot Camp, and even install it and run it via Crossover (Wine-based app).