Quote:
Originally Posted by hen555 View Post
and can play decent ammount of games.
That sure isn't gonna happen on a Mac.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can run windows on a Mac, it is just a PC with EFI and a fancy case.
You also have the option of cider, crossover, vmware, parallels and darwine to run apps and such.
Old May 7, 2009, 03:39 PM
Top Prospect

I would not recommend tablet laptops unless you ABSOLUTELY need one. In my experience (and I may be wrong here), they tend to either be overpriced for features (more so then macbooks), or underpowered. If you don't want a vista laptop, get a MBP (you can most likely afford one if you are thinking about it) and throw XP on it, that'll give you plenty of power. Yes, there are plenty of laptops out there that are cheaper or have better features, but it's tough to find one that has a good balance of battery, preformance, and features.

(Now to get blasted by anti-mac posts :P)
EVGA 9800 GTX+ Superclocked
4GB of Patriot Viper II DDR3 RAM
2X320 GB Western Digital @ 7200 RPM
Plextor DVD +/- RW
Corsair TX 750 W power supply
Windows 7-64
Old May 7, 2009, 04:46 PM
Banned

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are junk...pure and simple. If you want to try out the Mac OS then get a license....then get a Asus EeePC with a celeron 900.....and then install it on that with a special bootloader that you can get somewhere on the net. This way you get a GOOD netbook and the Mac OS.

Macs.....guh.
Old May 7, 2009, 05:09 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are junk...pure and simple. If you want to try out the Mac OS then get a license....then get a Asus EeePC with a celeron 900.....and then install it on that with a special bootloader that you can get somewhere on the net. This way you get a GOOD netbook and the Mac OS.

Macs.....guh.

that is just ignorance. Higher priced yes, but junk, no way. Besides Lenovo there isnt another notebook that compares in terms of quality. And then you go and say an EEE is good compared to one
Old May 7, 2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

Hate to say it but there are reviews that back me up. Just search for them and you will see what I mean. It is NOT a good unit.

Now if they improved it then my view may change.

Also you are comparing a netbook to a notebook. big difference.
Old May 7, 2009, 06:01 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Hate to say it but there are reviews that back me up. Just search for them and you will see what I mean. It is NOT a good unit.

Now if they improved it then my view may change.
I'd like to see these reviews as I am not able to find one.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
You can run windows on a Mac, it is just a PC with EFI and a fancy case.
You also have the option of cider, crossover, vmware, parallels and darwine to run apps and such.
Or just run a PC based laptop and save yourself the trouble? Honestly Mac book pros are over priced thats just how it is... As for EEE pcs, gf just bought one of the MSI U100s and this thing feels better built then any mac ive ever used... and it can be made to run mac os so ill back up Digikid, besides it only costing a fraction of the price of a new macbook, its also smaller, lighter, and has better battery life.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They are each for two completely different targets. Can you get a netbook with 15 or 17" screen? No. Do netbooks come with an optical drive? No. Do the netbooks come with a metal case? No. Does the MacBook Pro completely smoke the netbooks performance wise? Yes. Are you stuck with a screen res of 1024x600 on a netbook? As far as I have seen.

You can just not compare a netbook with a MacBook Pro or any other normal sized portable for that matter. They are intended for completely different sections of the portable market.
If you turned a netbook into something to rival the MacBook Pro it is not going to be cheap anymore.(not that the higher end asus eees are cheap anyway)

If you are looking for a normal sized portable computer or even a big one the eee, aspire one, lenovo thinklight or whatever they call it, msi thingy and other netbooks just do not fill the role at all. If you need a portable with a decent CPU or somewhat reasonable graphics capability(GMA950 qualifies as worse than toilet paper.) then the netbooks are completely useless. They also all have plastic cases.
Would you settle for an all plastic case for your desktop PC? No? That is right, so why do you settle for plastic in your more vulnerable portable computers?

Either way, different segments of the market.