LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2009, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen555 View Post
I have 4 windows pc's and i want to try out the apple stuff

are macbook pros good?
i ned a laptop for university
Since you have already made up your mind to try a Mac, the question I have is "Why are you looking at the MBP?" Do you have specific hardware requirements that are only met with the Pro line? If not, then you are wanting a MBP for style and status?
I would think for all round usage that a tablet would be best.
If you are set on getting a Mac, look at one of the smaller, cheaper units.
I was looking at a MBP, last year, to use for digital photography. After doing research, I decided not to buy it. Too much proprietary hardware and software.
My advice is to do some research. Check some of the Mac forums to see what problems users are having. Try posting your question in a Mac forum. Asking questions about Macs on a predominately PC forum will get you lots of negative comments, but not much useful info.
Good luck with your venture.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old May 4, 2009, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i want a laptop good mostly for editing videos and can play decent ammount of games. I dont play high quality games like crysis but maybe thats because i dont have the rig to run it on. It would be good to have hdmi out so i can connect my videos to tv. But I think you need good gpu for rendering videos right? im not sure.
I dont want a big laptop because the one im on now is big , its a centrino duo and designed for xp but the repair man put vista and i REALLY Dont like vista. Its so dam slow and uncompatible. I dont even use the cool effects because it slows my laptop down. Anyways, yes my pc is not working but i dont want to go to the repairman i want to fix it myself. Thats besids the topic , but Yes I also only have windows based pc's and laptops here and i wanted to try out OSX because i have the iphone and the os seems very unique. Iv tried also linux based os, Ubuntu and its not bad its just everything all the programs are new on that. So one concern i have is the programs and applications that i will loose .

Can wine or w/e run any program like microsoft word or sony vegas or jiust the game grand theft auto san andreas lol. I have 2 windows base laptops and 3 windows based pc's which are my familys, they aare not really mine . So thats why i was thinkin apple . the model i was looking at is the 15-inch MacBook Pro.
Before lookin at the apple macbook pro. I was mainly looking at tablet pc's because of its touch screen. I heard there is going to be multi touch oc from microsoft, im not sure if its talkin about the windows 7 (which i tried the beta and was very pleased).

Are tablet Pc's good for university because of its writing pad touch thing. Are there any good for editing and rendering videos? HDMI out? can play all the latest games? ( doesnt have to maxd out settings)

sorry for long reply but alot of replys.
sorry for my english too/
Old May 4, 2009, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

There are open source replacements for most mainstream Windows programs. Some are better than the Windows version. It just takes some time to get used to the differences. It is like trying a program you have never used before. Wine and Crossover can run many Windows programs in Linux. You would have to check their websites to see what is on their lists. If you want to check out a non-Microsoft, or Linux, OS then take a look at PC-BSD 7.1. It is a desktop version of FreeBSD, which is neither MS or Linux. It is closer to the Mac OS. I installed it on an IBM T61p last night and it's all good.

I would think tablets are the preferred choice, as they are small, light and you can write, instead of type, on them. Quieter and, in most cases, quicker than a keyboard. There are tablets with the power to edit and render video and play the latest games. And HDMI.:)
To find a good brand, I suggest cruising some of the manufacturers forums, looking for remarks about different models you are thinking about buying. That way you will see what ppl that are using the laptops have to say about them. And there are laptops that can be bought with Linux on them, fully supported.

Panasonic Toughbooks

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old May 4, 2009, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You posted a pic of a 10 year old computer

do these look like toys?

The so called G5 (not really, but anyway) was obviously a horrendous mistake. It is the *ONLY* good looking one they've ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
Hmmm, well, I carry around 25lbs of books during a 5+ hour day of school, everyday of the week for eight months. I really don't need to lug anymore weight, otherwise my back is going to break.
You don't carry around your 25lbs of books for 5 hours. I'd imagine you'd carry them around for 10 minutes from point to point?

Anyway, if you're 110lbs I can understand your point. If you are at least of average build and height then you shouldn't really have a problem....

If it is just your preference, then okay, no problem. Personally, I'd rather have another 5lbs of battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen555 View Post
I dont want a big laptop because the one im on now is big , its a centrino duo and designed for xp but the repair man put vista and i REALLY Dont like vista. Its so dam slow and uncompatible. I dont even use the cool effects because it slows my laptop down. Anyways, yes my pc is not working but i dont want to go to the repairman i want to fix it myself.
Where do you live?

Last edited by Supergrover; May 4, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:44 PM
Allstar

complaining about carrying 25 pounds? when i was 110, i walked 30 minutes, uphill, bothways, carrying a 50lb pack every other day. it honestly wasn't that bad.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

only 30 minutes?
Old May 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
Allstar

lol. 30 minutes on the way to and from school, depending if i detoured or not. the in-school stuff was just 5-10 minutes of walking. its a very different case for 5 hours of walking, but like the other guy said, i'm REALLY doubting he's walking for that long every day(if that IS the case, i would seriously recommend using some public transit).
Old May 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
lol. 30 minutes on the way to and from school, depending if i detoured or not. the in-school stuff was just 5-10 minutes of walking. its a very different case for 5 hours of walking, but like the other guy said, i'm REALLY doubting he's walking for that long every day(if that IS the case, i would seriously recommend using some public transit).
Thats why there are schoolbags with wheels and extendible handles now... for lazy people like you! Kidding kidding... But I just don't find a laptops weight any concern until you go over 6-7lbs.
Old May 5, 2009, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

My 17" Dells seem light as a feather, compared to the 15-20 lbs of tools on my belt when working pipefitting. It's all relevant. :)

Panasonic Toughbooks

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

Old May 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm not saying Dell is bad.
I am.

When a tech support rep tells you that you have to buy an entirely new OS license to reinstall an OS, they are bad.

Not that it helps that most of their support people are in India.
You can get US support, but it costs MUCH more.

Oh and "style" has absolutly ZERO worth in my views.
I don't care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.