Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

jmo but the ease of upgrades that can be done to the asus aspire one ( 10' model ) is where i am talking my business next time ( putting an ssd in right away )
Old May 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

I also have an EEE 1000HA (white) NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Eee PC 1000HA Pearl White Intel Atom 1GB 160G 10IN 1024X600 WLAN Webcam XP Home 6CELL Notebook - EPC1000HA-WHI001X In Canada. and i'm pretty happy with it, with the little I use it (was for the gf, so I could keep my laptop to myself) she's happy with the weight and the keyboard and the battery life. One thing i did notice was the speakers as expected are far from great. The SD card reader does the trick for me, and I didn't get the one with Bluetooth / Wireless N. Wouldn't get much use out of either. But it's been good so far. My 1.5 cent ramble.

Old May 6, 2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto122 View Post
Hey Reality...

Well, I've had the Acer Aspire One and I now have the Asus Eee PC 1000HA

I gotta say, I love my Asus. The screen is amazing. It has LED backlighting and it's easy to view from any angle. The screen is also a matte finish so it's easier to see in bright light than my Acer was.

The keyboard layout is great, even with my big mitts.

It plays 720p video without any hiccups and looks great doing it.

So far I've only found two negatives with it....

First, the touchpad buttons are right at the front of the unit, and what happens is sometimes it leans against your body and you hit a left or right click button, but this is very minor.

The second thing (a bit more major for me) is that it only has an SD card reader. I have a Sony DSLR and I can't plug my cards straight into it. I have to carry a card reader along with me (or the itty bitty Sony USB cable which I'm scared to lose!).

BUT, the incredible battery life makes up for these two small shortcomings on this netbook. I'd almost say it's an ultraportable except for it's lack of optical drive. But you know, I never miss not having it.

If I'm going on a trip, I just load a bunch of movies onto my 2.5" portable drive, and then load them to the Asus. No big deal.

My advice though, don't get black. It's hard to keep looking good. It picks up fingerprints very easily.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Oh, and for the mouse pad issue (I hate the things) I accessorized my Asus with a VX Nano mouse! Best thing ever!

It also has wireless N. This makes browsing FAST (at home and work I have N Networks)
Actually it does NOT have N wireless. I too have a 1000HA ( yes I got the black one ) and it does not have N.

EeeUser ASUS Eee PC Forum / ASUS eeePC 1000HA with Linux?

I like it but it is seriously SLOW. The Atom chip in it is slow as heck. It cannot even play youtube vids without stuttering badly.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
I like it but it is seriously SLOW. The Atom chip in it is slow as heck. It cannot even play youtube vids without stuttering badly.
I think there is something wrong with yours then. My wife's works great and she watches lots of youtube and other web videos. Plus that is with Vista and Windows 7 on it. It is the 1000HA in white and quite frankly we love it.

Now that said I would not buy the 1000HA again, I would get the 1000HE .

See they added more to the battery life, made the keyboard even better (amazing since the HA had the best netbook keyboard out there), put in a slightly faster chip (Atom 280, HA has the 270) and still managed to keep all of the good things from the HA as well.

Really for the price of these things you just can't go wrong. I helped my mom get one of the HE's just over a week ago and she only paid $439.99 at Memory Express. So in closing I would recommend the Asus EeePC 1000HE over any of the others.

Old May 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
Banned

Agreed....the HE is the one with the N wireless.

and no there is nothing wrong with my unit. I exchanged it THREE times. Same result.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Agreed....the HE is the one with the N wireless.

and no there is nothing wrong with my unit. I exchanged it THREE times. Same result.
Hmmm, maybe it is just the internet connection itself?

Ah well, I know that my wife's and the few others we have set up for people at work all have no issues like that.

Old May 6, 2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Possible.....I will look into that.