Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2009, 12:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't mean to thread-jack or anything, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Also should be noted that Intel uses less power than AMD too IIRC.

I'd go with a Core 2 Duo, even if its just for basic tasks. A 13.3" or 14.1" size would be perfect IMO. Though 15.4" are cheaper, they are quite a bit bigger/heavier, so depends on what your friend feels up to carrying around.

I have a Dell XPS m1330 which is great for carrying around to school, at school and then home. Small, lightweight, yet still packs enough power to get anything done. With a T8100 + Intel X3100 graphics + 9-cell battery, I can do like 5-6h of light tasks, and about 3h of Half Life 2

As for the Atoms, my mom has an Aspire One which is great for daily stuff but for me the keyboard and screen are just too small to actually be able to use it during class taking notes or trying to write a report on it. Unless you have tiny hands that is.
You can game with the GMA X3100?

Although my laptop's CPU isn't quite as fast as yours, I'd have to say serious gaming is next to impossible with the GMA X3100... It can run the original Sims fine (Sims 2 lags for me), but otherwise nothing else really. I tried running CSS with it, but the best it could do was 30 FPS with everything at the lowest settings and 640x480 resolution. On another note though, it can play Battlefield Heroes Beta on low at 1280x800 perfectly fine, and it actually looks half decent.
-Deadpool
Old March 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyless View Post
You can game with the GMA X3100?

Although my laptop's CPU isn't quite as fast as yours, I'd have to say serious gaming is next to impossible with the GMA X3100... It can run the original Sims fine (Sims 2 lags for me), but otherwise nothing else really. I tried running CSS with it, but the best it could do was 30 FPS with everything at the lowest settings and 640x480 resolution. On another note though, it can play Battlefield Heroes Beta on low at 1280x800 perfectly fine, and it actually looks half decent.
Sure can! I run HL2 on all lowest settings, 1280x800. Plays fine. Maybe not always 30FPS but its usually close to it. Doesn't feel super laggy by any means.

CSS/L4D definitely don't play well though. L4D is the worst. CSS is okay but it like pauses every now and then which just doesn't work for me in a fast paced FPS.

Serious Sam 2 runs like a dream though (again lowest settings, 1280x800). Looks fine as well since its all cartoony.

But of course, it's not my choice of gaming platform, just to pass the time during my 2h (sometimes longer) breaks between classes at school.

Oh and 3DMark06 if you want some laughs: ORB - Compare

Back to CTA, the Atom can play up to 720p MKV video fine. So it's a fine media platform too, as it doesn't make sense to bother watching HD content on such a tiny screen.