Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 06:55 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Thanks folks. Appreciate the input. These do look like amazing little machines.

Easy Peasy is bookmarked. Looks pretty good.
If I was to replace Easy Peasy today I would go for this one ...

Good OS - gOS and Cloud operating systems

You can always install an OS to an SD card or USB stick if you dončt want to wipe the hdd.
Old March 8, 2009, 07:51 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input. The nano sounds interesting. It may be released at a premium price though but it could drop the price of the atom.

I think most netbooks are running 945 chipset and 950 graphics. Yes, it is old but not bad for what it does (of course the price seems high for a 945 system).
Old March 8, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I think most netbooks are running 945 chipset and 950 graphics. Yes, it is old but not bad for what it does (of course the price seems high for a 945 system).
Not sure about that one.

The Intel mobo's do but I think the netbooks use mobile chipsets.

The price is what the market will bear ...
Old March 8, 2009, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

You are probably right. Must be a mobile version of the 945 (I recall seeing this on their spec list but with little info behind it). I will have to go look up the specs in more detail before buying.

Yes, the market bears the price. It is hard to put a price on portability, compactness, weight, etc. I am only going on a quick comparison of prices for netbooks versus laptops.
Old March 8, 2009, 08:40 AM
Allstar

Most netbooks with SSD drives are 299$.
The others with hhd's are about 100$ more.

An SSD model may fit the bill.

My Eee has a 4GB SSD and I added a 16GB SDHC card.
I have Easy Peasy running on the SSD and Mandriva installed on the SDHC.
I share the home dir between the two OS's.

You could also run an external hdd when you dock it to your TV.

Many possibles ...
Old March 8, 2009, 09:16 AM
Banned
F@H

Netbooks are OK on the net...but personally, i think they area wee bit anemic in the power department. When we get teh dualcore ATOM cpus in netbooks, they'll be far more capable. Hopefully they'll be out soon.
Old March 14, 2009, 05:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default Netbooks

I purchased an Acer aspire one in August 08 for our 15 year old disabled daughter who has dificulty with the use of her hands and fingers. I have to admit she took to this little netbook right away and has had one problem the battery everything else has worked well for her. I use it once in a while when i do a service call its been most helpful for accessing information on site. My daughter watches movies videos and plays small games. We loaded some educational software wich runs the same as the programs that she learns in class. The only problem that ive seen with it is the battery loses its life after a while but after talking to Acer support they sent me a new battery at no charge and its been great about 7 hours battery. I recomend these netbooks to my clients that only need a pc for light uses and have had no complaints either about the asus 1000ha or the Acer aspire one.

Old April 13, 2009, 12:05 PM
Allstar

just waiting for the Asus 1000HE to drop in $