Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2009, 10:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
that screen looks terrible howd it get smashed?
ehhh, someone in my family can't control their temper :(

You really think that the hdd is all that will function? I'm pretty sure the RAM is good too. In fact, I think the entire laptop is fine. Like I said above, it does turn on. I plan on testing it with another external monitor

oh and don't let the pics mislead you. I opened up the laptop myself, out of curiousity and to see what could be salvaged. the only thing broken reallly, was the screen. I thought the other components were done for, but it appears to be working
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old February 28, 2009, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklaz View Post
ehhh, someone in my family can't control their temper :(

You really think that the hdd is all that will function? I'm pretty sure the RAM is good too. In fact, I think the entire laptop is fine. Like I said above, it does turn on. I plan on testing it with another external monitor

oh and don't let the pics mislead you. I opened up the laptop myself, out of curiousity and to see what could be salvaged. the only thing broken reallly, was the screen. I thought the other components were done for, but it appears to be working
OOPs forgot about the ram yah it'll be good too.

Well if it wasn't dropped and the screen was the only thing damaged then yes you could use it to output to a monitor.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

id say first hook it up to a monitor that u know is working. If not, try to rebuild it bare on a desk or something
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 1, 2009, 01:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it boots up, or at least you think it does, then it will most likely be fine, except of course for the screen.

The thing is it will probably not display on the external monitor, at least not without some help. It will act just like it would have before, which means that just plugging the monitor in will not make it display there. It has to be set up to display on the external monitor. Now you could try making it think that the lid is closed which depending on the previous settings could force it to go to the external monitor.

To do that you have to push down a little pin. Look below to see what I mean:

A camber is built into the hinge of the system that activates the suspend switch plunger as the LCD is lowered to the closed position. If the switch is broken or nonfunctional, then it can be replaced separately. It is located under the hinge cover next to the right hinge on the system. The pictures below demonstrate how the switch works.

Suspend switch in open position (front)

Suspend switch in closed position (back)

So that is one option. Another option that really is even easier is just to let it boot up and then when you figure it is in the OS and have the external connected just hit Fn+F8, that switches the video image to the next display option. The options include the integrated display, an external monitor, and both displays simultaneously. Hopefully you will get a display on the external.

Hope that helps some, if you have any other questions about this notebook and parts, insides, etc. just let me know and there is a decent chance I will have or be able to find the answer.

Old March 1, 2009, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

I have my doubts that you will get anything to display on an external monitor. It sounds like you may have damaged the video sub-assembly when you tried to boot with the broken LCD. You say you saw smoke. That was probably from the gpu, or an associated chip. If an external display is hooked up, the signal will go to that display, whether the LCD on the laptop is open, closed or even hooked up. You can try checking the switch in the display hinge, as ipaine explained, but it should not matter as it only turns the LCD on and off. If it will not display on a 'known-good' monitor, then the video system is shot.

If it displays, then you can get a used lcd for $150-200 and install it into the lid, or just run it on the external.

The thermal pad on the cpu needs to be replaced, or cleaned off and Artic Silver (or any brand) thermal paste applied. The cpu will overheat if left as is.

If it will not display, parting it out is probably the best bet to get your money out of it. Good luck.
Old March 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
If it boots up, or at least you think it does, then it will most likely be fine, except of course for the screen.

The thing is it will probably not display on the external monitor, at least not without some help. It will act just like it would have before, which means that just plugging the monitor in will not make it display there. It has to be set up to display on the external monitor. Now you could try making it think that the lid is closed which depending on the previous settings could force it to go to the external monitor.

To do that you have to push down a little pin. Look below to see what I mean:

A camber is built into the hinge of the system that activates the suspend switch plunger as the LCD is lowered to the closed position. If the switch is broken or nonfunctional, then it can be replaced separately. It is located under the hinge cover next to the right hinge on the system. The pictures below demonstrate how the switch works.

Suspend switch in open position (front)

Suspend switch in closed position (back)

So that is one option. Another option that really is even easier is just to let it boot up and then when you figure it is in the OS and have the external connected just hit Fn+F8, that switches the video image to the next display option. The options include the integrated display, an external monitor, and both displays simultaneously. Hopefully you will get a display on the external.

Hope that helps some, if you have any other questions about this notebook and parts, insides, etc. just let me know and there is a decent chance I will have or be able to find the answer.

Thx Ipane lol, you got the exact pictures too hehe. I tried that, both methods work! I'm gonna go buy some Artic Silver and repaste my cpu. How many times do you guys think i can use 3.5g's ? Cuz I kinda wanna reapply some on my own pc

Stock HSF + Artic Silver is better than Stock HSF + Stock Thermal Paste Right?
Old March 1, 2009, 01:08 PM
MVP

Default Replacement screen at Bliss Computers

came across these guys and bookmarked it. Worth a look as they have many replacement screens available at reasonable cost.

Bliss Computers Home Page

I searched 1501 and got 6 results
Old March 1, 2009, 02:45 PM
MVP

those are very reasonable prices bushwacker, thx for the info!

I just got back with some Arctic Silver. I gave the cpu a cleaning with some rubbing alcohol and the put on the artic silver.
O
nce everything was back together, I tried starting the computer. The computer turns on, the fan spins really hard, I hear a mechanical clunk, then the computer beeps 4 or 2 times. Then... nothing.... the light indicates that the computer is on, andI have to press the power button for the light to go off, so I'm assuming the laptop is on... but something is wrong, ipains method's for getting the screen working on an external monitor are not working, and there is absolutely no noise coming from the laptop.

If I had a screen I could probably see what the problem is, but the reason I'm having this problem in the first place is because of the screen itself lol...

I'm sure its one of two things, either I forgot to plug something in, or I fried the CPU.
The cpu (I'm not sure if all laptop CPU's are like this) doesn't have a plate of metal covering the entire back. The back of it is this green circuit board (I assume), and there is a rectangular metalic peice protruding out of the green part of the CPU. Not knowing any better, I used some ethanol to remove the thermal compound from the green part....

I think I'm done for the day hahha...

the good part is that I put some of the Arctic Silver on my e5200, and I see a drop of 5 degress :D